Honda Civic:

1997 honda civic lx no power

You are not logged in.

# 1  9/19/2011 6:42 PM

cincinnatihonda

1997 honda civic lx no power

I have a 1997 Honda Civic LX it was running absolutely terrible so I replaced the fuel pump and gave it a basic tune up. That worked for about 2 days when it started idling really low and stalling so I replaced the distributor, rotor, and ignition coil. That helped with stalling but not the low idle. Also when I pushed the break the speedometer and radio would turn off for a quick second. Which leads me into the last problem now I am not getting any power at all.

# 2  9/20/2011 4:38 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: 1997 honda civic lx no power

I don't know what made the speedometer and radio flash but it may have also erased all of the PCM settings and the engine is running in basic mode. Resetting the PCM may restore the engine to its original running condition. Check all fuses to make sure none of them are blown.

Check the PCM with a scan tool to see if there are any trouble codes first. Repair any codes that come up.

If you don't have a scan tool then use the procedure below. Then drive the car to see if the condition improved, you may have to put a few miles on it so all of the readiness codes can reset.

Engine Control Module (ECM)/Power Train Control Module (PCM) Reset Procedure:

NOTE: Resetting the ECM/PCM will erase any stored DTCs (data trouble codes) and any freeze data. It will also restart all readiness code monitors.

Either of the following actions will reset the ECM/PCM. Using a scan tool or removing the reset (back up 7.5 Amp fuse) for 10 seconds then put the fuse back in.

Honda models are coming out with more and more Systems that need some kind of initialization procedure done if power is removed or the battery is disconnected. Doing the idle learn and CKP pattern learn for the FCM/PCM, resetting the power window control unit, and initializing the OPDS unit are some familiar examples of these procedures.
We can't emphasize enough how important it is to do the appropriate initialization procedure. If you don't, you could wind up doing a lot of wasted troubleshooting and repair.

Turn the ignition switch OFF. Remove the BACK UP (7.5 A) fuse from the under-hood fuse/relay box for 10 seconds.
NOTE: Removing the BACK UP (7.5 A) fuse cancels the clock and the radio presets. Make note of the customer's presets so you can reset them.

Try this out and get back to me with your results. We can go on from there.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.