Ford Explorer / Explorer Sport Trac:

when accelerating air conditioner dies

You are not logged in.

# 1  8/26/2011 10:42 PM

budlight

when accelerating air conditioner dies

I have a 2000 xls with 125k miles suv runs great. recently when accelerating usually over 40/45 mph the ac dies. when speed is reached the ac returns to normal ops. happens with cruise control on or manual acceleration.  local mechanic said it sounds like a vacuum leak, any ideas where to start> tks

# 2  8/27/2011 2:14 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: when accelerating air conditioner dies

I need more specific information on your vehicle and the problem.

I need the engine size, exact model, if A/C is manual or electronic. The more information you give me the better I can help you.

If you accelerate the vehicle and the A/C mode shifts from the vents to the floor then I would first check the vacuum hose from the engine to the vacuum canister for the A/C; Then all of the other hoses to the vents after that.

When you accelerate you loose engine vacuum, the vacuum canister is a reserve for vacuum for the A/C when vacuum is lost on acceleration. The vents can stay in the applied position with this vacuum reserve. With a cracked hose there is no reserve, on acceleration, with the loss of vacuum the vents go into there starting position, the floor vents.

Get back to me if this information is incorrect and with the detailed information you give me I can help you better.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  8/28/2011 7:21 PM

budlight

i have a 2000 explorer, 4Liter sohc, auto trans, 4wd xls. climate controls are manual. dash has 4 vents. driver side, 2 center and pass side. there is an additional center vent in rear for back seat. AC max or normal never came out at your feet. (Only heat when on). Drove last night to check, prob starts when I accelerate at 40mph or above. Tks.

# 4  8/28/2011 9:06 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Sometimes a scanner and refrigerant A/C gauges need to be used. A scanner can help the mechanic check for any trouble codes that may be set in the A/C system.

The A/C refrigerant gauges are used to see if the system is properly charged and to see if the system is working properly. There are pressure switches in the system that could cause a compressor to cut out early if they are malfunctioning.

A cracked or broken vacuum hose could also cause this as I explained in the last post.

The system could have a low refrigerant level causing the compressor to cut out early not allowing the A/C system to get cold enough. There may be a compressor cut out switch in the system that should be checked for proper operation (if equipped). This can be done with a scanner. There is also a compressor clutch relay that should also be checked for proper operation.

Proper clutch operation should be confirmed first before you go further.

If you don't have these tools then your local automotive professional is your best bet.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 5  8/29/2011 10:12 PM

budlight

tks so much for your assistance. Working full time this week but will check out the directions you have pointed me in. Will post reply once problem/solution is detected. Again tks . Budlight

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.