Mercedes-Benz 300:

'87 300E

You are not logged in.

#1 8/11/2011 4:21 PM

herrick9

'87 300E

My old girl while generally quite reliable mechanically  started to act strange yesterday in the start and stop categories.....
Start her up in the morning no problem...go about a mile or so and the engine shuts down.....Pull over put into Neutral, turn the key and it starts up again like there is nothing wrong.  This has transpired a few times and since it's obviously kinda dangerous, thought someone here might put me on the right track for what the problem might be.
I'm guessing something electrical but since I'm not a mechanic, "guessing" is never a good idea...
Thanks-
-j

Mercedes-Benz 300 Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 8/11/2011 4:42 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: '87 300E

When was the last time you had a tune up?

The fact is you can still start the car; which tells me at this time that you have ignition when you start the engine. I would check the fuel pressure and the condition of the fuel filter. I have seen on my own cars that the car will run for a while and stall and still be able to start the engine all results of a clogged fuel filter.

This needs to be ruled out before we can go on from here. There is still a chance that the ignition could still be at fault, but it sounds like a fuel problem from the information you gave me.

Let us know how you make out, if you need more assistance we will be glad to help.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 8/11/2011 9:47 PM

herrick9

Re: '87 300E

Thank you and will jump on that tom. morning and report back.....
Appreciate the input here.
-j

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.