Service Information:

Missing fuel cap, Check engine light on

You are not logged in.

# 1  8/11/2011 1:11 AM

Frank VUE

Missing fuel cap, Check engine light on

I have a 2004 Saturn VUE with 83,000 miles, 2.2-4 cyl, 5 speed manual.  Just recently unknowingly lost the fuel cap and ran without it for 1/2 tank of fuel. Found the cap was missing on next visit to the fuel station and quickly purchased a replacement and reinstalled. About 100 miles later the check engine light came on and stays on.  Manual indicates the light should reset and go out after a few trips but I traveled more than a few trips and the light is still on. There is no perceptible difference in performance or gas mileage. What sensor is causing this and how can I correct?  Thanks

# 2  8/12/2011 2:02 AM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: Missing fuel cap, Check engine light on

All diagnostic trouble codes have different parameters for ignition cycles before the malfunction indicator light will turn off.

In your case, it may very well be a trouble code which must be cleared manually with a scan tool.

If the light stays on, have the code confirmed to be an evaporative emissions system leak (missing gas cap), and have the code cleared.

A lot of auto parts stores can do that for you free of charge.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.