Lincoln Mark VIII:

Excessive brake pedal travel and computer

You are not logged in.

# 1  7/31/2011 1:51 PM

tcb2011

Excessive brake pedal travel and computer

I have  a  1994  Lincoln  Mark  8  , the  brake  pedal  started  going all  the  way  to  the  floor,  I   replaced  the  master  cylinder and  that  didn't  fix  the  problem  so  I  replaced  the  brake  booster  but  I  don't  know  if  that  fixed  it  or  not  because  now the  car  won't  start and  allow  me  to get  vacuum to  the  power  booster.  While  under  the  dash  in  an  effort  to  make  more  room to  work   the  computer  was  unplugged  for  approximately  30  minutes  and  then  plugged  right  back  in.  Would  this  be  some  or  all  of  the  reason  why  it  won
t start?   I  didn't  find  anything  that  looked  like  it  was accidentally  disconnected  or  damaged but  you  never  know.  I don't  have  a  clue  what  to  do  with  it  at   this  point.  Thanks

# 2  7/31/2011 2:32 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Excessive brake pedal travel and computer

You need to go back to basics. First check to see if you have spark at the spark plugs. If you don't have spark at the plugs, locate the problem and repair as necessary.

Check to see if you have fuel pressure. If you have fuel pressure; check to see if you have an injector pulse at the fuel injector. You can check this with a noid light.

Does the engine start and stall or is it a no start condition?

Check to see if the spark plugs are fouled with fuel. This could indicate a no spark condition.

If you can get a scanner or code reader, check to see if any codes are stored in the computer memory. Repair any codes that may come up.

The brakes should be bleed thoroughly to make sure no air is in the system.

Check the adjustments on the rear brake caliper or drum brakes what ever was in stalled on your vehicle.

If all of this is confusing for you then your local mechanic is the one to check this out. The mechanic has the proper testing tools to find the problem in both areas, your brakes and no start condition.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  8/1/2011 3:38 AM

tcb2011

Re: Excessive brake pedal travel and computer

I tried using  a  scan  tool   but  the  problem  is  that  OBD 1  scan  on  this  vehicle  runs  the  car  through  several tests  which  require  starting  the  engine   and   warming  it  up  to  normal  operating  temp.  Like  you  said,  this  may  be  a  job  for  a  certified  mechanic.  I  really  appreciate  you  taking  the  time  to  answer  my  questions,  thank  you  very  much.

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.