Pontiac Grand Prix:

Wiring demons

You are not logged in.

# 1  7/12/2011 8:36 AM

adsmith8604

Wiring demons

OK have a 95 Pontiac grand prix, started out with the radio coming on at random times. Then the car didn't want to start a few times, just clicked a little. (3 or 4 times then started, only did this 2 or 3 times) and now every so often the tachometer and speedometer start jumping and the car idles funny for a second then dies. Also, this same night that these things started I came to a stop and all of a sudden lights and radio went dead for a split second then came back on and everything worked great. Oh, and sometimes when I turn on the blinker the radio shuts off and comes back on and sometimes turning corners causes radio to freak out too. Help!
I promise, this is not a joke! I wish it was, I'm pulling my hair out. Had one guy say it sounded like an ignition switch problem but I'm not even close to knowing.

# 2  7/12/2011 9:15 AM

adsmith8604

Re: Wiring demons

now to make it better, came out to the car, had dome light and door buzzer. hit key to start it and lost all power inside the cab plus headlights. only things that work right now are brake lights and door chime...cool.......

# 3  7/12/2011 9:27 AM

adsmith8604

Sorry I lied, I have my cigarette lighter, and my electric fans run on toggle switches, they work as well. No interior lights, no radio, no dash lights, no windows, locks, but the mirrors work. Seems to me everything tied to the ignition is dead. Wonderful!

# 4  7/12/2011 9:37 AM

adsmith8604

Sorry for the constant updates, I now slammed door (in anger obviously) and noticed the dome light came back. So I started wondering, hit the key and it fired right up and everything is normal. Now what? Forgot to mention, when the radio first started coming on at random times if I turn the steering wheel a little (note it is locked) the radio would turn back off. Sometimes for a long time and sometimes for a second or two.

# 5  7/12/2011 4:25 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Your ignition switch may have something to do with all of this. It could have loose or worn contacts inside.

Check all body grounds to make sure they are clean and free of all corrosion.

Check the fuse links at the starter and alternator; they may be loose and making intermittent contact.

Check all the fuses, If one is blown it could be getting a feed back from another fuse.

Check these out and get back to me when you can.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 6  7/12/2011 10:07 PM

adsmith8604

Alright, I'm pulling the wiring diagrams now to make sure I find the grounds. As for the fuse links, how do I check, just shake and see if it changes? I figured if it was loose moving it around will cause a reaction. Thank you for the quick reply, its been a rough day. Locked the ignition tumbler up on my truck last night then headed to work and almost didn't make it home. In a mile stretch the car died 5-6 times. Long morning. I should be back on later this evening, probably too late for a reply so I'll check it in the morning. Thank you for the help! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

# 7  7/12/2011 11:12 PM

adsmith8604

i didn't find any loose or bad grounds, all fuses checked good. i don't know about you but i wanna think its somewhere at least in the column. i tried with all i had to get it to act up just now and no luck, it all worked and ran like a champ. i pulled cover off of lower column, tried jiggling on ignition wires to see if maybe they were loose, no luck. it don't even seem to do it at any particular time is the weird thing. anyway, let me know what you think, i'm gonna go keep hunting....thanks :-)

# 8  7/13/2011 12:15 AM

adsmith8604

I tightened the bolt from the switch harness to main harness at base of column. It is still acting up. Now its back to just the radio coming back on minutes after key is out of the ignition. I'm not sure how long it will last though.
Would it be the switch itself causing it or could it be between the lock cylinder and the switch? I would want to think it would have to be in the switch but I'm horrible with wiring. I get frustrated really easy and have to step away from it.

# 9  7/13/2011 12:25 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Try to disconnect the ignition switch and see if the lights go out. This will eliminate the electrical part of the switch.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 10  7/13/2011 12:27 AM

adsmith8604

Wait hang on, I think you lost me sorry. Disconnect it and if I lose power then the switch is the problem?

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.