GMC Jimmy:

2000 GMC JIMMY STALLING!

You are not logged in.

# 1  6/30/2011 3:21 AM

newgroundsguru

2000 GMC JIMMY STALLING!

I have had this problem for a long time. The check engine light is NOT on and it does NOT go over the normal temperature. I live in Tucson AZ and it gets hot here in the summer. This is the only time it stalls. I have to drive for about 15 min. When its getting up to normal temp it will not stall. When its at normal temp it will not stall when driving or idling its only when I start going say from a light to a stop sign it will accelerate normally then die. I will hit the gas and nothing will happen, but its still running!  Sometimes it will completely stop running or it will get its power back and I can drive it again. Has anyone had this problem? Do you know what might cause this? Please help. thank you:(

# 2  6/30/2011 10:28 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: 2000 GMC JIMMY STALLING!

What is the ethanol percentage of the fuel you are using?

There a service bulletin on the use of ethanol higher than the 10% being used in most fuels used today. The service bulletin describes drivability problems that include loss of power and hesitation. If the fuel you are using has higher than 10% ethanol then change the fuel station you use to one that is pumping 10% ethanol. Then you should road test the truck to see if the problem went away. It may take at least two tanks of fuel.

If the problem continues then have the computer scanned and pay attention to the TPS sensor and notice if there is a hesitation or loss in the voltage signal while driving the vehicle. When the problem occurs and the TPS is the problem you will notice 0 volts at the sensor when the engine loses power or hesitates.

Other problems that can cause this is idle air control motor (IAC), carbon build up at the throttle plate. This can easily be cleaned with a recommended throttle plate cleaner and a rag.

Low fuel pressure or bad fuel pressure regulator can cause this. Checking the fuel pressure when the problem occurs will help diagnosis this to see if it is contributing to the problem.

Try these suggestions and get back to me when you can.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  7/1/2011 7:23 AM

newgroundsguru

TechHelp2 wrote:

What is the ethanol percentage of the fuel you are using?

There a service bulletin on the use of ethanol higher than the 10% being used in most fuels used today. The service bulletin describes drivability problems that include loss of power and hesitation. If the fuel you are using has higher than 10% ethanol then change the fuel station you use to one that is pumping 10% ethanol. Then you should road test the truck to see if the problem went away. It may take at least two tanks of fuel.

If the problem continues then have the computer scanned and pay attention to the TPS sensor and notice if there is a hesitation or loss in the voltage signal while driving the vehicle. When the problem occurs and the TPS is the problem you will notice 0 volts at the sensor when the engine loses power or hesitates.

Other problems that can cause this is idle air control motor (IAC), carbon build up at the throttle plate. This can easily be cleaned with a recommended throttle plate cleaner and a rag.

Low fuel pressure or bad fuel pressure regulator can cause this. Checking the fuel pressure when the problem occurs will help diagnosis this to see if it is contributing to the problem.

Try these suggestions and get back to me when you can.

All the stations I go to use 10% its always listed on the pumps.

With the TPS sensor, my friend has a code reader that he can hook up to the OBD diagnostic connector. Can I use that to check the volts?

Where would I find the throttle plate? If its easy to get to I would like to clean it off myself.

Also I would like to add that the heater core went out a few years ago and I bypassed it. I did get a new part but didn't know it was behind the fire wall. I don't know if that has to do anything with it but it didn't really correspond with the stalling.

# 4  7/1/2011 3:24 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

A code reader will not read the voltage that is why you need a scanner. The scanner reads real time data and you will be able to see sensor faults when they occur.

It might be a good idea to have a professional look at the vehicle, he check out the TPS sensor and tell you if it is malfunctioning or not.

If you're not familiar with this procedure below or handy with cars then you would be better off taking it to a professional mechanic.

The throttle plate is attached to the air cleaner snorkel or air tube. You may have to remove some items like the air cleaner and attaching tubes. Once you can see the throttle plate, spray the throttle plate cleaner into the plate opening with the throttle wide open then wipe the black carbon away until it is clean. The idle air control motor can also be removed and cleaned but most of the time it is clogged enough that it would have to be replaced because the carbon slows down the response time of the motor and can cause stalling.

If you need more detailed information you can get it at ALLDATAdiy.com.

The heater has nothing to do with the stalling.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.