Mitsubishi Expo:

Automatic Transaxle will not move

You are not logged in.

# 1  6/26/2011 10:22 PM

jon8817

Automatic Transaxle will not move

The vehicle is a 1992 Mitsubishi, Expo 2.4 Liter   Non LRV Front wheel drive. My 19 year old son and wife were returning from Walmart. My son made a left turn into traffic and my wife's left arm pushed the transmission shifter into neutral. My son returned it to drive, but the transmission acted as if it was in neutral. I towed it home and started the engine. I have no forward or reverse gears! The engine runs but no movement  no matter in forward or reverse. Could it be the TCU? I have a gut feeling the transmission is done!  Any information is greatly appreciated!

Jon8817 sends

# 2  6/27/2011 4:07 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Automatic Transaxle will not move

It seems odd that the car was shifted into neutral and won't work after that. The first thing I would check is to see if the shift cable is still attached to the shifter and also the transmission. It may of popped off, If it all checks out then attach a scanner or have someone with a scan tool check for any trouble codes in the computer memory.

Using a scan tool you can visually see on the scanner if it is electrically making a connection to the transmission and if it is in park or neutral and if the shift solenoids are working properly.

If there are not any codes stored and the cable is connected to the shifter and the transmission then a hard internal transmission problem may be the suspected.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  7/5/2011 12:04 AM

jon8817

Re: Automatic Transaxle will not move

hmm
I had checked the shift cable before towing it home. It was fine. Fortunately, I bought the shop manuals for this vehicle years ago. It uses an early version of OBD. I used an  analog volt meter to get the codes and the manual had ac chart explaining what they meant. I was not surprised when the code showed normal. I guess I have an internal trans mission problem! I am not surprised this transmission has over 275,000 miles on it! I have received good service from it!   
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Jon8817 Sends

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.