Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

Fuel mileage and rear axle

You are not logged in.

# 1  6/20/2011 7:17 PM

Gator

Fuel mileage and rear axle

I recently purchased a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 quad cab with the big horn package. It has the Hemi motor with a rear axle ratio of 3.92.  I have been asking around about how to improve my fuel mileage.  I was told to have an K and N air filter system installed, have a different, bigger muffler with more flow installed, and purchase a chip and program the truck to economy and power mode. I am also going to install a soft  tonneau cover.  I was told this would improve my fuel mileage by as much as four mpg, or more.  Is this true?  I do not want to spend the money if it isn't going to help.  Also, my truck does not have the optional anti spin rear axle, but it does have the heavy duty towing package.  What kind of rear axle does my truck have?  Is it limited slip at all?  Thanks

# 2  6/20/2011 8:12 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Fuel mileage and rear axle

As of all the items you mentioned, they all will help increase fuel mileage.

The tonneau soft cove will also help. The rear compartment of the pick up actually creates a wind drag causing the truck to lose mileage. The cover will cover the bed of the truck so the air can go smoothly over the bed eliminating the wind drag.

There are a few rears for that truck; you would have to get the option codes to see what is exactly installed in your truck. Then you can go to the dealer and they will be able to tell you exactly what rear is in your truck.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  6/20/2011 9:57 PM

Gator

Thanks for the information.  I did get a print out sheet on the truck and it did not list any codes for the rear axle.  The dealership could not tell me either.  However, when I took it off road and punched the gas, their were two sets of torn up ground, meaning both tires were spinning at the same time, I assume.  Also, I took it through some Florida slick black muck and even with the stock 275/60R20 Goodyear street tires it went down at first, but when I put the hammer down, it pulled right through, leaving behind ruts over two feet deep.  Speaking of tires, if I increase my tire size from the stock size to 325/60R20, how much will this affect my mpg?  Thanks

# 4  6/21/2011 12:18 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

The lager tire size can be used as long as tire clearance is still obtained. The larger tire size can make a difference in fuel mileage but it will only be a very slight increase. The larger tire size can take away from the torque on take off but it would only be slight to where you may not even notice it.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  8/4/2011 2:17 PM

kish

i got 2004 2500 ram 4.10 gears 12 mph is all i get, did the same as you but not the chip ,k&n tornado, flowmaster full syn oil ,hard top no diff.

# 6  8/4/2011 2:31 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Sometimes on big trucks it is almost impossible to increase fuel mileage.

They sell power chips for trucks that are adjustable to the type of performance you want. If you don't know which parameters to adjust then your local speed shop can adjust the trucks engine performance to help or try to increase fuel mileage. The chip is usually for more power and still keep the mileage you have or maybe a slight increase.  Good luck.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.