Chevrolet S-10 Pickup:

4/4 wheel drive trouble

You are not logged in.

# 1  6/19/2011 2:02 AM

fender63

4/4 wheel drive trouble

Help,
I have a auto.1999 4/4 s10.  When I put it into 4 wheel drive high or low I can hear the sleeve or gear moving or sliding.  It does not engage the 4  wheel drive.  I have checked all the connections and vac. hose and they seem to be ok.  I put a vac. gage under the hood and it was reading about 18" of vac.  I have no codes.  The  lights on the switches change and does not flash when they are selected.  Thanks for your help

# 2  6/19/2011 12:17 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: 4/4 wheel drive trouble

Check all vacuum lines from the engine to the vacuum reservoir and to the actuator if equipped

If you have a light on the dash and it is not flashing then this indicates that the electronics are working properly.

If you can hear the gear and solenoids moving this would indicate the shifting mechanisms are working.

This all may indicate an internal problem like a synchronizer or shift fork or other parts involved.

The first check would be to see if metal is in the transfer case fluid. This will verify an internal malfunction.

If you can't perform the proper diagnostics then your local dealer or transmission shop can do the proper procedures and give you advice on what to do next as of repair options.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  6/22/2011 1:44 AM

fender63

Re: 4/4 wheel drive trouble

TechHelp2 wrote:

Check all vacuum lines from the engine to the vacuum reservoir and to the actuator if equipped

If you have a light on the dash and it is not flashing then this indicates that the electronics are working properly.

If you can hear the gear and solenoids moving this would indicate the shifting mechanisms are working.

This all may indicate an internal problem like a synchronizer or shift fork or other parts involved.

The first check would be to see if metal is in the transfer case fluid. This will verify an internal malfunction.

If you can't perform the proper diagnostics then your local dealer or transmission shop can do the proper procedures and give you advice on what to do next as of repair options.

Thanks for the information.  It was a vacuum line.  You were right on.  Thanks again

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.