Toyota Tercel:

91 Tercel Starting Problems ?

You are not logged in.

# 1  6/8/2011 9:04 PM

pjm333

91 Tercel Starting Problems ?

I have a 91 Tercel •1.5L 4-cyl. engine and recently had the AC fixed. The AC has a big effect and driving quality in 1st & 2nd gear, the car wants to stall and has no power but expected this in a way. When I drive for 10 to 15 minutes and shut the car off and try to restart the car just turns over and wont start. The car is fuel injected so I don't press the gas but in order for it to start I have to floor the gas and after many attempts it starts. Any ideas before I bring it back to the mechanic ? Thanks !

# 2  6/8/2011 9:37 PM

pjm333

Re: 91 Tercel Starting Problems ?

I forgot to add that I do see black smoke and a heavy smell of gas when trying to start & the check engine lite is not on.

# 3  6/8/2011 10:33 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

It sounds like the fuel injectors may be leaking down into the cylinders and giving you a flooded condition. When you floor the gas pedal you put the fuel system in wide open throttle mode and this turns off the injectors until the engine starts.

There could be many tests for this condition; the one that would focus on the injectors is the Injector leak down test. This tests one injector one at a time to find the injector(s) that may cause the problem.

The entire fuel system should be checked for operation and the computer system still should be checked for any stored trouble codes. A mechanic with a scanner can isolate the problem with the information it provides.

Keep us informed on how you make out.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 4  6/21/2011 3:29 AM

pjm333

Your right and it was the fuel injectors so I tried simple first and added some fuel injector cleaner and it has made a difference. used it on 2 fill ups and it stopped stalling and can use the AC again, thanks for your help !

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.