GMC Acadia:

front suspension squeak

You are not logged in.

# 1  6/7/2011 7:25 PM

bull-lee

front suspension squeak

I have a 2011 GMC Acadia that has developed a front suspension squeak when traversing over bumps in the road.  I have researched from another forum my condition and found a GM fix relating to the squeak.  The noise is evidently the fluid moving inside of the control arm bushings.  The fix is to puncture each control arm bushing rubber membrane, draining the fluid.  On the surface this fix seems a bit odd, but I am writing to you find out if the fix is reasonable - what is the future reliability of a control arm bushing that is drained of its fluid? 

I realize that you may suggest that I take my Acadia to the dealer for investigation - and I plan to.  However, with past experience dealing with dealer repair centers is one often gets the 'cannot duplicate problem' result.  I am coming here first to try to do a little of my own homework before draining my energy with the dealer.  Thank you in advance for any advice you are able to provide.

The document is as follows:  #PI0251 Document ID 2534058.  This describes my squeak perfectly.

# 2  6/7/2011 9:32 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: front suspension squeak

I use the Alldata information website and they have no procedure listed at this time that sounds like the one you described.

I wouldn't drill anything or do any unauthorized modification unless it comes from GMC. If you do anything to alter anything on the vehicle the warranty will be void.

There is a service bulletin on this and here is part of it. It is too lengthy to fit. If you need the full bulletin you can get it at ALLDATAdiy.com 

Here it is below.

TECHNICAL:

Bulletin No.: 09-03-08-004D
Date: November 05, 2010
Subject: Squawk or Creak Type Noise from Front of Vehicle (Apply Grease on Strut Piston Rod)

Models:
2008-2011 Buick Enclave
2009-2011 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2011 GMC Acadia
2007-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK

Supersede:

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2007 and 2008 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-03-08-004C (Section 03 -suspension).

Condition:
Some customers may comment on a squawk, creak or itch type noise coming from the front suspension of the vehicle that may be more noticeable in cold temperatures. This noise will most likely be heard during small to medium suspension travel. The noise may occur with the vehicle traveling straight and/or during turns.

Cause:
The cause of this condition at cold weather conditions may be due to the inside diameter of the front strut jounce bumper rubbing against the piston rod of the strut, creating a slip-stick condition.

The fix is to apply part number 12345579 (dielectric silicone) to the strut piston front strut jounce bumper rubbing against the piston rod of the strut.

Proper procedure should be followed to make sure the strut/jounce bumper is not damaged.

Show this to the Service Writer at the dealer so it can be done properly at the dealer and also be done under warranty.

I hope this helps you out.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  6/8/2011 12:34 PM

bull-lee

Thank you for your response. 

Here is the document that I found on another forum...

Document ID: 2534058 Page 1 of2

Document ID: 2534058
#PI0251: Squeak Noise on Slow Speed/Jounce
Maneuvers - (Sep 24, 2010)
Subject: Squeak Noise on Slow Speed/Jounce Maneuvers
Models:
2008-2011 Buick Enclave
2009-2011 Chevrolet Traverse
2008-2011 GMC Acadia
Condition / Concern
Some customers may comment that they hear a squeak noise from the front of the vehicle, Upon
further investigation, a technician may find a squeak noise ·coming from the lower control arm
bushing in warm temperatures,
This condition may be caused by movement of the fluid in the bushing, causing this noise during
suspension jounce,
Recommendation Instructions
1. Verify the condition,
2. Raise and support the vehicle.  Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.
3. Locate the front control arm bushing (both sides),

© 2011 General Motors. All rights reserved.
3/26/2011
Document ID: 2534058 Page 2 of2
Note: Fluid will be under pressure and will likely spray out when rubber is punctured.
4. Use an awl to puncture the rubber membrane at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the front
side of the bushing (when looking from front of vehicle). Position the awl in the gap between
the white plastic radial travel limiter and the outer rubber wall. Puncture in the same position
until fluid comes out.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation Description Labor Time E9529*  Drain Front Control Arm Bushing 0.4 hour.
This is a unique labor operation for PI use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time
Guide.

WESUPPORT
• VOLUNTARY
TECHNICIAN
• CERTIFICATION
3/26/2011

# 4  6/8/2011 10:19 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Thank you for that information. I would still bring it to the dealer now that you know that there two fixes for the same problem.

It could be possible that the bulletin you sent may be superseded by another updated bulletin. The dealer would know the updated information.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  6/14/2011 4:59 PM

bull-lee

Dear TechHelp2:  Regarding PI0251 - Are you willing and/or able to run this fix by a GM engineer?  What I am wondering is how is puncturing the rubber membrane of the control arm bushing and releasing its fluid a reasonable fix?  The reason I am asking you is I'm not confident that any dealership service center will know if it's a reasonable fix.  I'm fairly certain that they would follow the instructions of PI0251 and perform the fix, but as much as I am interested in fixing the problem (squeak) I am also interested in learning why releasing the fluid within a contained membrane is a good idea.  It doesn't seem like a good idea on the surface, but I admittedly do not know the engineering regarding control arm bushings on a GMC Acadia.  Perhaps the fluid contained in the membrane has nothing to do with lubrication or with the life span of the control arm bushings...but I would like to know whether or not that is true before allowing the dealership service center permission to perform PI0251 on my vehicle. 

I guess in a nutshell I am asking if you have contacts within GM that can explain PI0251.  I am not confident that my local dealerships can explain the fix.  Thank you.

# 6  6/15/2011 1:39 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

I' m sorry but I don't have any contacts with any engineers at GM.

If GM put the bulletin out to fix of a problem, I'm sure that it was thoroughly researched and preformed many times before the bulletin was put into circulation to make sure that it was a positive fix and that it made sure that there were not any safety issues that would occur from their recommended repair.

If you don't have any faith in the dealer you go to then it would make sense to go to a larger more reputable GM dealership that you would be able to have a solid trust in their workmanship.

Bring the truck into another GM dealer and see what their diagnosis is then go on from there.

I'm sorry I couldn't be anymore help. Good Luck.

If you can get back to us if and when your problem gets fixed, we would like to have that feedback so we would be able to help others.

realworldautomotive.com

# 7  8/9/2011 6:41 PM

bull-lee

Dear TechHelp2 - I wanted to report back with the resolution of the front suspension squeak occurring with my 2011 GMC Acadia.  I ended up taking it to a local dealership and they performed the work outlined in - Document ID: 2534058 #PI0251: Squeak Noise on Slow Speed/Jounce - which was to puncture the lower control arm bushings to release the fluid.  This fix did not work.  After the lower control arm bushings were punctured the squeak was still present.  Next, I took it to another local dealership and explained the noise, showed the new service advisor what work the previous dealership performed, etc.  This dealership evaluated the noise and determined that both lower control arm bushings needed to be replaced.  Apparently, replacing the control arm bushings on the Lambda vehicles is pretty commonplace.  The service advisor explained to me that bad control arm bushings can display a variety of different noises from moaning, crunching and squeaking and that they have serviced many Lambda vehicles for similar noise.  Well, the newly installed control arm bushings have solved my issue...at least for now.  My front end is now quiet...squeak free.  The GM Document for the control arm bushing noise is now revised: 2534058 #PI0251A.

# 8  8/9/2011 9:22 PM

Administrator
Administrator

bull-lee wrote:

Dear TechHelp2 - I wanted to report back with the resolution of the front suspension squeak occurring with my 2011 GMC Acadia.  I ended up taking it to a local dealership and they performed the work outlined in - Document ID: 2534058 #PI0251: Squeak Noise on Slow Speed/Jounce - which was to puncture the lower control arm bushings to release the fluid.  This fix did not work.  After the lower control arm bushings were punctured the squeak was still present.  Next, I took it to another local dealership and explained the noise, showed the new service advisor what work the previous dealership performed, etc.  This dealership evaluated the noise and determined that both lower control arm bushings needed to be replaced.  Apparently, replacing the control arm bushings on the Lambda vehicles is pretty commonplace.  The service advisor explained to me that bad control arm bushings can display a variety of different noises from moaning, crunching and squeaking and that they have serviced many Lambda vehicles for similar noise.  Well, the newly installed control arm bushings have solved my issue...at least for now.  My front end is now quiet...squeak free.  The GM Document for the control arm bushing noise is now revised: 2534058 #PI0251A.

bull-lee,

Thank you very much for getting back with us on the fix to your noise. This type of information is a great help to other members.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.