Dodge D100 / 150 / 250 / 350:

speedometer/odometer not working

You are not logged in.

#1 5/27/2011 6:29 PM

rkas48

speedometer/odometer not working

DTC:15 NO VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL DETECTED DURING ROAD LOAD CONDITIONS.

PROBLEM: SPEEDOMETER/ODOMETER DOES NOT WORK

I have replaced both the speed and distance sensors. The speedometer has been tested and is working correctly. The needle and numbers do not even bounce.

I replaced the instrument cluster because the dealer tech said that was the problem.   Still does not work.

What are my next steps to correct this problem?

1990 Dodge Ram 150 LE
VIN 1B7GE16Y7LS759854
318 CID V 8
A998/999 3 Speed /OD auto trans

Last edited by rkas48 (5/28/2011 3:01 PM)

Dodge D100 / 150 / 250 / 350 Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 5/28/2011 3:38 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: speedometer/odometer not working

I need more information on your vehicle like the year, make, model and what ever specific information you can give will help me help you better.

The speed signal comes from the speed sensor and or a P M generator on the transmission depending on the year. If the scanner did not show a vehicle speed I would look there first.

I still would like to have all the information so I can be more specific on the diagnosis.

Get back to us when you can when you have the information we need.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 6/5/2011 2:35 PM

rkas48

1990 Dodge Ram 150 LE
VIN 1B7GE16Y7LS759854
318 CID V 8
A998/999 3 Speed /OD auto trans

#4 6/5/2011 10:31 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Put the scanner on the car again and watch the vehicle speed on the scanner. Try to duplicate the problem under the road load condition, if you don't lose the signal from the speed sensor and you lose the speedometer, then the speedometer is bad. If you lose the speed signal on the scanner and the speedometer, then the speed sensor or related parts or wiring may be at fault.

Try this out and get back to me with the results.

realworldautomotive.com

#5 8/31/2012 5:51 PM

rkas48

speedometer now works.  it was a wiring problem. insulation deteriorated from several wires in harness.  now when i set the cruise control the speed does not stay constant, just continues to increase.

#6 9/1/2012 3:49 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Continue to check the wiring to and from the cruise control components for poor wire connections in plug connectors, sensors and switches.

There still may be a problem with the wires where you found the original problem.

Put a scanner in to check for trouble codes for the speed control system. It may indicate the trouble source.

realworldautomotive.com

#7 3/7/2013 6:01 PM

rkas48

When i set the cruise control the speed does not stay constant, just continues to increase. Found no wiring or connector problems.  No cruise control fault codes. Cruise control system starts and stops as it should except it will not lock on the set speed, just continues to increase the speed.  Does not surge just a gradual speed increase.

#8 3/7/2013 7:28 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Check the ACCEL switch to see if the switch is stuck or shorted. If you think about it the ACCEL switch when pushed will accelerate the truck until you come to the desired speed then you would set the speed and you would be in cruise mode.

I listed below how the system should work, maybe it can direct you to the correct area of the problem.

To Increase speed: Vehicles with Stalk switches When the speed control is engaged, pressing the SET switch and releasing it in less than one second will provide a 2 MPH increase in speed. Multiple presses are remembered (i.e. 3 presses will increase speed by 6 MPH) .

Vehicles with Steering Wheel switches When the speed control is engaged, pressing the ACCEL/RESUME switch and holding will gradually increase the vehicle speed. When the switch is released a new set speed is established. By pressing and releasing the ACCEL/RESUME switch in less than one second, a 2 MPH increase in speed can be obtained. Multiple presses are remembered (i.e.3 presses will increase speed by 6 MPH) .

The engine controller controls the Speed Control System using information from several inputs. Throttle actuation when speed control is engaged is controlled by alternately grounding (at the engine controller) the vacuum and vent solenoids to add or subtract vacuum from the servo.

A most important sensor signal used by the engine controller for speed control is the vehicle distance sensor input. The controller determines vehicle speed using input from this sensor and is very sensitive to speed sensor problems.

This information is from the Alldata information website.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.