Mercury Grand Marquis:

Overheating problems

You are not logged in.

# 1  5/23/2011 2:43 AM

Brandon82

Overheating problems

I'm new to this so please be patient. I have an 89 Grand Marquis that I love but the repairs are killing me. Started off as a great car I bought off craigslist. FIRST MISTAKE: I put green antifreeze in it and it had I think the gold kind. It caused a muddy mixture and my problems began. I replaced the radiator and water pump, seemed  to be fine until the transmission overdrive gear went out. I had no other transportation and like a dummy kept driving all the way until the tranny went completely out. I ended up getting a used transmission which still slips in first gear so then I had a huge antifreeze leak and had someone change the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, problem NOT solved. I ended up having the head gaskets changed, freeze plugs, some heater something (forgot the name) tune up basically a thousand dollar job. Now that its getting hot my car is doing the same thing it did last year when it started getting hot, getting hot and over heating with antifreeze literally boiling in my overflow. I really can't afford those same repairs again this year. Tomorrow I'm going to change the thermostat. If this doesn't work I'm completely lost and would appreciate any suggestions and or input. I'm not a mechanic but I have taken a "few" classes and have been under my hood for the past 2 years so I'm learning plus all of what I can fix is sitting on the top so its easy. HELP! neutral

# 2  5/23/2011 3:29 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Overheating problems

When does the engine overheat, while driving or driving in city traffic or sitting still at idle like stuck in traffic?

Make sure the engine is warm to operation temperature.

Stop engine and using a glove or a cloth to protect the hand, immediately check the effort required to turn the fan. If considerable effort is required, it can be assumed that coupling is operating satisfactorily. If very little effort is required to turn the fan, it is an indication that the coupling is not operating properly and should be replaced.

The clutch fan may be tested while vehicle is being driven. To check, disconnect the bimetal spring, and rotate 90┬░counterclockwise. This disables the temperature-controlled, free-wheeling feature and the clutch performs like a conventional fan. If this cures the overheating condition, replace the clutch fan.

The antifreeze mixture should be a 50/50 mixture.

Checking your car with a scanner can check the temperature gage to the engine temperature monitored by the computer. If the gage reading is higher than the computer reading the gage sensor could be faulty.

The engine could be air bound. Raise the front of the car and put on jack stands or ramps and run the engine with the radiator cap off the radiator. As the engine is running monitor the coolant level in the radiator. When the thermostat opens the coolant level may drop. Refill as necessary till the coolant level is stable and no longer requires to be refilled.

Raising the front of the car puts the radiator higher than the engine and allows trapped air in the cooling system to escape out of the radiator.

Try these few suggestions and get back to with the results.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  5/23/2011 11:49 PM

Brandon82

Re: Overheating problems

Thanks for your help. I will try those things and see where it lands me. I'm not exactly sure what the clutch fan is but I have a mechanic who can check it for me tomorrow. I'll be back in contact. If the engine runs hot at any time but it really does it when its like 80 degrees or better and when I come to a stop and cut the car off it begins to boil in the over flow and spill out

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.