Mercury Grand Marquis:

Engine cranks over with ignition key but engine won't start

You are not logged in.

#1 4/28/2011 8:53 PM

marty.whitesel@bdk.com

Engine cranks over with ignition key but engine won't start

I found that the emergency cut off switch for the fuel pump in the trunk was tripped. I pressed the red button. Engine still won't start. I checked the fuse in the power distribution box under the hood - 20 A fuse for fuel pump was fine.   

I sprayed engine starter into air intake which causes the engine to try to run but quickly stalls when fluid is consumed.   Also checked the bleed valve on the fuel rail and there is no gas leaking out when I open that valve.

I am assuming that all of this boils down to a bad fuel pump? Are there other tests that I can perform to narrow this problem down to the fuel pump or the safety shut off switch?

Are there other things to check besides the fuel pump?

Mercury Grand Marquis Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 4/28/2011 11:16 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Engine cranks over with ignition key but engine won't start

Check the fuel pump relay.

When you turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump turn on for two seconds and then turn off, this is the fuel pump prime.

Use a test light or volt meter to see if you have voltage at the fuel pump. It can still be a bad fuel pump, pump relay, wire connection somewhere in the circuit or computer.

Since you can hear the engine try to start with starting fluid you can rule out that the ignition system is the problem.

Check it out and get back to us when you can.

When you do, have more detailed information on your vehicle like year, model, engine size and so on.  It will help me help you better.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 4/29/2011 3:37 PM

marty.whitesel@bdk.com

It is a 2000 Grand Marque 4.6 liter engine.   

This car belongs to my mother whom I won't see again until next Wed. I am assuming that the fuel pump is mounted in the gas tank? Will I have to drop the tank to get to it? I can check the circuit to see whether it is getting current - my assumption is that if it is getting current during start up that the pump will have to be replaced.

#4 4/30/2011 3:21 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

It sounds like you are on the right track.

The fuel tank will have to be removed to replace the fuel pump.

Some details are too long to list; if you need detailed information on this procedure then you can find it at ALLDATAdiy.com.

Anything else you need just ask we are here to help.

realworldautomotive.com

#5 5/1/2011 11:01 PM

way2old

The fuel pump can be removed without dropping the tank.You might have to take some wires out off a small connector, but that is about it. There is plenty of room to remove the pump with the tank in place. Just be sure there is under 1/2 tank of fuel in it so it does not get all over you. The wires you need to disconnect go to the fuel tank pressure sensor on top of the tank.

Being way2old is why I need help from younger minds.
People are like slinkys, not much use but I still smile when I see one stumble down the stairs.

#6 12/14/2014 12:50 AM

Mezkin7

I have a 1999 Marquis. It stopped running. I checked the fuel gauge 3 gallons. Checked fuse associated with the fuel pump, good. Checked relay associated with the fuel pump, good, checked red button in trunk, good.  Finally sprayed starter fluid in the air intake, ran like a charm, till the spray ran out. So went to junkyard got a pump for 60 bucks then I spent half a day trying to remove the old pump without dropping the tank. No dice.  Next day had to drop the tank and finally pulled pump then installed new one. Great...went to lift it back into position but now there was clearance issue with rear anti-sway bar, so off it goes, now the whole thing can slide right back into position...but wait there's more...before I went any further I decided to check the pump.  Turned the key and thought I heard the pump, then the car started. OK so now the straps will not reach the bolts they came off of so I am buying a 5/8 coupling. And a 5/8 bolt to try and strap this thing back.

#7 12/14/2014 3:55 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

According to the service manual you would need to replace the studs with new ones for the fuel straps. Go over your work and make sure the fuel tank filler tube is inserted properly and that there is no other wiring or fuel lines pinched in between the tank and the body or frame.

If you need more information or diagrams I can send them to you if they are available.

realworldautomotive.com

#8 3/29/2015 6:44 PM

neffy

I had a new engine put in it ran fine for a day then it wouldn't crank the theft light popped on when I tried to crank it. Had a key made still no start what could be wrong?

#9 3/29/2015 11:02 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

To properly diagnosis the problem you need to know three things. Do you have compression in the cylinders, spark at the spark plugs and fuel going to the fuel injectors like fuel pressure and or volume of fuel (amount)?

I need the year of the vehicle also the exact model and the engine size to help you with your problem.

Get back to me with this information and we can diagnosis the problem further.

realworldautomotive.com

#10 3/30/2015 3:19 AM

neffy

2002 grand Marquis 4.6 all plugs has been changed pressure seems fine

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.