Chevrolet C&K Pickup (Pre-1999):

Traction and horsepower

You are not logged in.

# 1  4/23/2011 7:42 AM

Massinf3rn0

Traction and horsepower

Would building a box out of 2x4s and plywood in between the wheel wells and filling it with concrete be a good fix for traction issues in wet weather?

Also what would be good ways of increasing horsepower without swappin my 5.7L 350 for sumthin bigger?

# 2  4/23/2011 1:46 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Traction and horsepower

There are some stores that sell accessories for trucks that sell bags that you can fill with water or sand for extra weight in the back for traction issues. You don't want to put anything in the wheel wells because of clearance issues.

You can visit your local speed shop and they can give you tips to increase horse power for your particular year and model.

One quick way is to install a power chip in the computer that is reprogrammable so you can adjust the power chip the way you want. The name is Hyper Tec Power Chip.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  4/26/2011 5:54 AM

Massinf3rn0

I'll look into the chip, but the box would be put in the bed. I've dropped trucks before so I know not to mess with clearance, i was just seeing if it sounded like a good idea

# 4  4/26/2011 12:30 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

If you don't mind the box in the back all the time and you can make it look presentable, then it sounds like a good idea.

The bags I told you about would be temporary and only used when extra traction would be needed and are removable.

A customized box mounted permanently for extra traction all the time sounds like a good idea.

If you want to remove the box from time to time you should design it with brackets so hooks and chains can be used with a crane to remove the box when needed. Just a idea to consider.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 5  5/2/2011 6:36 AM

Massinf3rn0

I made the box with a lid so I can put 2 bags in when it rains, but when it's dry like now I keep 1 in there just in case I hit wet or oily pavement. Thanks for the ideas, the box actually looks pretty good and I can take it out if I need to haul anything.

# 6  9/23/2011 12:36 AM

Jesse Brown

Thanks for your contribution. I personally find this post quite informative!

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.