Chevrolet Tahoe:

Blinkers

You are not logged in.

# 1  4/13/2011 12:15 AM

thiinc

Blinkers

I have a 2004 Tahoe and the blinkers have stopped working. The hazard work just fine and so does the cruise, wipers, etc. I bought a new blinker switch and that didn't fix the problem. I also checked the 4 10 amp fuses that were marked for turn signals and they were all fine.  any ideas

# 2  4/13/2011 12:21 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Blinkers

You checked everything but the turn signal flasher module. It is in or near the fuse panel under the dash.

Your owners manual may tell you in detail where it is.

I hope this information is helpful. If it is not, then get back to us and we will diagnose the problem further.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  4/13/2011 10:04 PM

thiinc

I have been unable to locate the blinker module. A GM service tech said that this model doesn't have one and the auto parts store could not find a part number for one.

# 4  4/14/2011 1:10 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Read on internet that it's the hazard lamp flasher.

Poor contacts inside the relay may cause the malfunction.

GM DOCUMENT ID # 1507507.

The part number is 15764135. GM has replaced it with 10383321.

The hazard light flasher and the signal flasher seem to be the same component.

Get the part and then you will be able to locate it a lot easier.

It is usually under the dash on the driver side.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  4/14/2011 10:18 PM

thiinc

I got the part and changed it today and still no luck. checked all fuses again and all are still good. brought back to place i bought it from and they had no luck either. baffling

# 6  4/15/2011 11:08 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

This is the explanation of the turn signal circuit from the Alldata information website. It appears that there are more fuses then the four fuses you previously checked. Check out the others and get back to me. We will go on from there.

I know it sounds complicated just pay attention to the fuses listed. I can tell you where the items are located later if they are needed.

Get back to me when you can.

TURN SIGNAL/HAZARD LAMPS:

The IGN E 10 A fuse in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the turn signal/hazard switch assembly. The FLASH 25 A fuse in the instrument panel (I/P) fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the turn signal/flasher module and ground is supplied at G200. When the turn signal switch is placed in either the left or right position, a voltage signal is completed from the turn signal switch to the turn sign/flasher module. When the hazard flasher switch is activated, a ground signal is completed from the turn signal/hazard switch to the turn sign/flasher module. The turn sign/flasher module then sends an on-off voltage signal through the LT TRLR, RT TRLR, LT TURN or RT TURN 10 A fuses in the I/P fuse block to the appropriate turn signal or to all 4 fuses for hazard operation. The instrument panel cluster (IPC) indicators receive voltage from the LT TURN and RT TURN fuses as well as the DDM/PDM for the mirror turn signal. The DDM/PDM has no function or control of the mirror turn signals other that a pass through connection for the circuits. The audio chime is also activated when the turn signals are on. When the hazard switch is pressed, all turn signal lamps will flash including both IPC turn indicators. The front turn signals are grounded at G100. The rear turn signals are grounded at G401. The Mirror turn signals are grounded by the DDM/PDM

realworldautomotive.com

# 7  4/15/2011 7:13 PM

thiinc

checked all fuses and they are good. where are the ground locations?

# 8  4/15/2011 8:44 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Looking at a wiring schematic, you should check to see if you have power to the pink wire going to the turn signal multifunction switch when the directionals are operating.

That power is supplied by the ignition fuse IGN E 10 AMP in the under hood fuse block. Check this first, and I'll look further into the problem.

realworldautomotive.com

# 9  4/15/2011 10:10 PM

thiinc

I have power at the pink wire.I bypassed the switch and jumped from the pink wire to the light green wire and the blinkers work and from the pink wire to the dark green wire and they work. this is with both the old switch and new switch

# 10  4/16/2011 12:46 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Did you check the flash fuse in the Instrument panel fuse block? The FLASH 25 AMP fuse in the instrument panel (I/P) fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the turn signal/flasher module and ground is supplied at G200.

Did you jump out the Pink, light green and dark green wires with the switch connected or disconnected?

Did you ground the multifunction switch to check if the ground to the switch is good?

When you jump the wires you said the lights flash properly or do they just light up?

Are you using LED light bulbs?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, I need to understand what is happening on your end.

If the lights flash when you jump the pink and one of the green wires, it sounds like the connection is not being made in the switch itself. Put on one directional to the left (dark green wire) and check for current to that wire. If you don't have current, jump that side with the pink wire, If it works the problem has to be above inside the column or switch.

Check the grounds to the steering column and the grounds to the multifunction switch to see if the lights flash. Ground the switch to see if it will complete the connection and make the lights flash.

If you can make the lights flash by jumping the wires then it just tells you the rest of the light circuit to the directionals are good.

If you want to speed up the diagnosis of this problem, you can get all wire schematics for your truck at ALLDATAdiy.com. For a small fee you can get all the information you need for a full year.

Check the bulk wiring connector located inside the wheel well of the right rear tire. Some problems have been reported at that location from caked up road dirt inside the plug. It wouldn't hurt to check it out and clean it up if it is caked up with dirt.

There is talk of a short due to the wires chafing between the headlight and turn signal circuit wiring. I'd start by looking at the wiring under the dash near the fuse block, which I believe is in a panel at the left edge of the dash where the driver's door opens. I'm not sure of this but I found a lot of posts on this problem.

Due to the strange behavior of this problem I wouldn't rule this out.

Try these suggestions and I'll keep looking.

Get back to me when you can.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.