Chevrolet C&K Pickup (Pre-1999):

tail lights

You are not logged in.

# 1  3/29/2011 5:32 PM

86chevy

tail lights

I have an '86 K10 Chevy truck. Been trying to get this beast running. Have problem with running tail lights. I have brake lights and turn signals but no tail lights. Have changed out all the light bulbs and even messed with a few wires. Could someone please help me????

# 2  3/29/2011 9:30 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: tail lights

Check the tail light fuse first.

If the fuse is good then check to see if you have power at the headlight switch going to the rear lights.

There is a service bulletin on the head light switch. It states that if you lose head lights at anytime. This may also include rear lights. Replace the headlight switch if necessary.

If you need any more information get back to us and we will look into the issue further.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  3/31/2011 9:04 AM

86chevy

Tail light fuse is good I checked every fuse. Put in new pull switch for lights. Still no tail lights?  Wondering if maybe its the wiring

# 4  3/31/2011 12:50 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Check the tail light sockets with a test light to see if there is any current there with the headlights on.

Check the grounds at the socket making sure they are not corroded.

From the headlight switch follow the wires all the way back to the tail light sockets, you may have a broken wire or corroded connection in the circuit. 

If you can provide more information it would be helpful like if you have two head lights or four, if it's a pick up or step van, if it has gauges or not. The more specific the details the more I can help.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.