Toyota Camry:

Tranny failure twice.

You are not logged in.

#1 2/27/2011 7:24 PM

jglenn11

Tranny failure twice.

Hello,

I bought my daughter a 99 Camry with a 4 cylinder, automatic Tranny. She drove it for a day, and the next day the OD started to slip, a few hours later it lost reverse, then hours later it quit completely. The fluid in the old tranny smelled burnt, so we bought a used one. We flushed the cooler and installed a new filter and fluid. The next day she calls to inform me it did it again, with the exact same symptoms. Something peculiar about it too, after sitting overnight it will go in the forward gear, still no reverse. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by jglenn11 (2/27/2011 7:31 PM)

Toyota Camry Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 2/28/2011 12:47 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Tranny failure twice.

It is possible that you bought a transmission that was faulty before you purchased it.

Did you use the old torque converter or did the used transmission come with a torque converter?

If you used the old torque converter then the old burnt fluid went through the transmission and could of contaminated the transmission.

You need to put a scanner on the vehicle to see what trouble codes related to the transmission are stored into the computer memory. This would be a start.

It is odd that the same thing happened to the replacement unit. It could be and electronic issue. That's why the scanner would be helpful. It can see what is going on with the electronics of the transmission.

If the transmission was bought from a junk yard and the unit failed it should have some sort of warranty. Usually they will give you a replacement, but they won't pay for the labor. Talk to them to see if a warranty applies to your situation.

If they replace the unit make sure to get the torque converter that went with the transmission.

Let us know how you make out.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 2/28/2011 1:50 AM

jglenn11

Re: Tranny failure twice.

We used the torque converter supplied with the used tranny, It only has 55k miles on it. They gave us a warranty, 6 months.

The reason I have not exchanged it yet is because of the odd similarity in the symptoms in failure. I will find a way to read the codes. The OTC scanner I have does not give me a choice between engine and tranny, I will have to borrow one that does.

I will post the results ASAP. Thanks guys!

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.