Plymouth Horizon:

total loss of power

You are not logged in.

# 1  2/2/2011 3:47 AM

joni.steagall

total loss of power

I have a 1988 Plymouth Horizon VIN D. I was driving along at normal speed when all power was lost.It will not do anything. The only thing that works are the headlights and the hazard lights. I tried switching batteries thinking that perhaps it was the alternator and the battery was too weak but no change. I'm hoping for suggestions on what to do.

# 2  2/2/2011 3:10 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: total loss of power

There are fusible links all over the car.

A fusible link is a fuse wire that is two gauges thinner that the wire it is attached to.

When there is a problem the link will melt giving an open circuit, but you won't see a melted wire. It is melted inside the special insulation on the fusible link wire.

There are a few on the shock towers, one goes to the alternator, another goes to the ignition switch, and another might be at the starter.

You would need a wire schematic to see where they are. You can get one from a service manual, if you can't find one you can get one at  ALLDATAdiy.com.

Using a test light or volt/ohm meter will be helpful.

You can get fusible link wire from the auto parts store.

If you need further assistance get back to us and we will be glad to help.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  2/2/2011 4:42 PM

joni.steagall

thank you for the information. I was able to locate a fused link that was faulty. I bypassed it and everything worked so now I just need to get a new one install it.Thanks again for the help.

# 4  2/6/2011 5:31 AM

Administrator
Administrator

TechHelp2 was right-on-the-money with the fusible link diagnosis.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.