Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

timing between flexplate and torque converter

You are not logged in.

# 1  2/1/2011 2:10 PM

jackman1

timing between flexplate and torque converter

Is there timing marks on the flex plate and converter to balance the engine or is it internally balanced?

# 2  2/1/2011 9:08 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: timing between flexplate and torque converter

Giving us more information will be helpful like the year, make, model, engine size, gas or diesel.

The more information you give us and or any information on any problem in particular you may be having will help out a lot.

Do you have a balance problem or are you looking for the timing marks?

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  2/2/2011 3:34 AM

jackman1

I am working on a 2005 dodge ram 2500 4x4 quad cab pickup. 5.7 litre hemi with an automatic trans.

# 4  2/2/2011 2:30 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

There aren't any timing marks that can be used because the Hemi engine timing is all controlled by the PCM.

The flex plate is balanced from the factory and can not be altered.

You still haven't been clear on what you are looking for.

If you are having an issue on an engine balance condition, please give as much information you can so I can help you better.

I hope this information I gave you helps, if not then be clear and precise on your information given and I'll try to give you the best information available.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  2/3/2011 4:42 AM

jackman1

I exchange the old engine for a rebuilt one. the torque converter will bolt in any of four different locations. The new engine seems to have a vibration when put in gear with the truck stopped. The front crank seal has started weeping with less than 500 miles. The trans has 99,000 miles on it. I did a oil and filter change on the tranny when I changed the engine and saw no metal or excessive debris in the pan. Just wondering if it could out of balance.

# 6  2/3/2011 4:13 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

It is possible; the engine vibration could be the engine running rough by a vacuum leak, plug wire, fuel injector and so on. Check all of your connections on your vacuum hoses and use the vacuum schematic to be sure nothing is leaking or in the wrong position.

Getting someone to put a scanner on the truck will enable you to check the fuel trim to be sure the engine is running correctly.

An out of balance engine will be more pronounced at a certain engine speed in neutral then disappear by raising the RPM higher or lower from the point the vibration appeared.

You can try using this method I use and most of the time it will work, but not all the time so take a shot.

Remove the torque converter cover and remove all the torque converter bolts. When you remove the last bolt spin the torque converter one way to the next bolt hole and bolt it up and run the engine. If it seems the vibration is the same or worse then take the bolts out and spin the torque converter in the same direction to the next hole and bolt it up. Try spinning it three times and see which position of the torque converter was the best.

Try these few suggestions and let us know how you make out.

realworldautomotive.com

# 7  2/6/2011 5:28 AM

Administrator
Administrator

Also keep in mind that a bad engine mount can cause significant engine vibration. If the engine vibrates in drive, but not neutral or reverse, that's a typical sign of a bad mount -- broken or hard rubber.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.