Mercedes-Benz E-Class:

New fan clutch noisy

You are not logged in.

# 1  1/20/2011 4:09 AM

camimifor3

New fan clutch noisy

MBZ E430 AMG, 2001,
Fan clutch replaced and now car sounds very noisy, when accelerating and seems to drag  at 10,20,30 miles. Dealer says new  fan clutches sound noisier and it will get quieter. But  too noisy to hear radio or phone, and have to really press hard at 10,20 miles.

# 2  1/20/2011 7:31 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: New fan clutch noisy

Did you have the fan clutch replaced at a Mercedes Benz dealer?

Was it an original Mercedes Benz part?

Sometimes the viscous clutch needs to break in for a few hundred miles. The noise should get quieter after a break in period.

If it doesn't then it is possible that there is a fault in the fan clutch and it would need to be replaced by the mechanic or repair shop who installed it.

Fan clutches will sound noisy and get quieter when you start driving.

It is possible that you may not be used to the new fan clutch noise. The old fan clutch, if it was spinning or malfunctioning was not working properly and was quiet when it should have been working (making noise).

Give it time to break in and then talk to your repair shop or mechanic if you are not satisfied with the results of the new fan clutch.

Let us know how you make out.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  1/21/2011 10:27 AM

camimifor3

Techhelp2

Thank you so much.  It is a new Mercedes Benz fan clutch, and my mechanic of 30 years did say that  it should get quieter, and I may not have noticed  as much noise since the other was not working. So I will try  for a few hundred miles. It just feels like it is dragging to accelerate. 
My previous Mercedes Benz was a 300e. So this E430 AMG is definitely noisier than anything I had before. But more things have failed on this than the 300e, like the trunk CD player. Still good car, and thank you again.

# 4  2/1/2011 8:28 PM

camimifor3

Thanks again for fan clutch info on 2001 E430 AMG... Still very loud after 200+ miles, mechanic will replace with another new fan clutch next week, and look at why it drags at 10-20-30 miles, can't enter  freeway with that.  Car has 85m miles and I drive maybe 100 miles per week, so not looking to replace.

Any info on trunk cd changers-told that they go out often , and cost to replace may not be worth it. Had  paint redone on trunk and cd changer didn't work after that.  Suggested I download all to  IPOD  and some connector to car radio will play through FM station. Any other alternatives, Maybe I can get that at the same time as fan clutch. Thanks,
Camimi

# 5  2/1/2011 9:14 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

You're welcome.

Let us know if the new clutch fan fixes the problem. It will be helpful information for us.

Sometimes you can find a replacement cd player on Ebay if you have a problem with the old one.

With a little luck you can locate the exact one for a replacement and it would be cheaper than repairing the old one.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.