Mitsubishi Expo:

Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor ( MD751210)

You are not logged in.

# 1  12/18/2010 2:35 PM

jon8817

Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor ( MD751210)

How is this sensor wired? The three wires for this sensor were accidentally pulled out of the connector. The wire colors on the sensor do not match the OEM wiring diagrams  or any diagrams I have found. Any assistance is/will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

# 2  12/18/2010 4:47 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor ( MD751210)

I need more information on your car to help you.

What year is it?

What make and model is it?

Would it be an Expo LRV?

Is it All Wheel Drive (AWD)?

Or is it just a regular Expo?

What make and model transmission is in the car?

The more information you give me the more information I can come up with.

Get back to me when you can.

The only information I come up with is a two wire connector. The number 1 connector slot is for the gray and yellow wire and the number 2 slot on the plug is for the black wire.

If this is incorrect then tell me the wire colors you have with all of the above information and we will go on from there.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  12/20/2010 2:14 PM

jon8817

Thanks Techhelp2 for responding!

My vehicle is a 1992 Expo Base (NON LRV) Model  VIN# JA3CY29WXNZ039074
Transmission Mitsubishi F4A232 LNN. I have read there was a new identification system so now it is a KM177-8. I removed the oil pan and traced the three wires back to the sensor in a bracket attached to the bottom of the valve body. I wanted to make sure it was not a solenoid. The wire colors to the sensor are black, Blue, and Green. The color coding of the wires on the female side of this connector to the TCU are solid Black, Green/with yellow stripe, and Yellow with white stripe. I have the Mitsubishi wiring diagram and it shows the two and three wire setups, but the colors are different to what I have in front of me. I have had this vehicle since 1995 (48000 miles), so I assume this is the original transaxle. 

Thanks again!

Jon sends

# 4  12/20/2010 9:35 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Thanks for the detailed information.

The black wire goes to the black wire; the green wire should go to the green and yellow wire, and the yellow/white wire should go to the blue wire.

Is this a new switch or was this in the transmission before you started the job?

After market parts usually have different wire colors. If you replaced this part then the part should of came with instructions to wire it up if it didn't have a plug on it.

If the wires came out when you were working on it then try this combination.

If wire 14 is green/yellow from the TCU then this wire will go to the #1 slot on the plug at the sensor.

If wire 15 is yellow/white from the TCU then this wire will go to the #3 slot on the plug at the sensor.

If wire 17 is black  from the TCU then this wire is the #2 slot on the plug at the sensor.

Try this out and let me know how you made out.

This is how it is on my schematic.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  12/21/2010 5:51 AM

jon8817

Thanks for the fast reply! The wiring combination you mentioned was my first guess but it did not work. After the engine warmed up, I had to gradually accelerate up any hills or it would slip out of overdrive. I used my multimeter to check the sensor (s) to get an idea of how it is wired internally. I then made up a chart of all possible combinations (6). I did not like doing it this way, but until I found this forum, I was by myself. After the third combination it worked! The transmission stayed in 4th gear! I can not remember the combination because  we had a trip planned to Myrtle Beach, SC. I have the information in my records, I will get it to you when I return.
I do not know if this sensor is original. I bought this car when it was three years old from a local dealer. What had happened - I had removed the engine and transaxle to install the engine I had spent two years rebuilding. I overlooked the sensor connector and as I lowered the transaxle the wires from the sensor pulled out of the male side of the connector without a trace of where they went! Do you have a source of where I can find a new one!  My local dealer says Mitsubishi does not make them anymore. Several online transmission shops and dealerships has no idea what I was talking about!

Thanks again.

Jon8817  sends

# 6  12/21/2010 2:47 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

I'm stumped as to why that combination didn't work either. When the switches come from an after market manufacturer, the wires most often are different. The manufacturer provides instructions on the correct wiring when changing the switch. If you can let us know if you know the manufacturer of the switch and the wire combination you used that worked.

My second guess would have been to switch the wire combination of the blue and green wires, not the black. Let me know if this is what you did.

If you can't find a plug for the transmission, try the local auto wreckers. They might have a wreck that you could cut the plug from.

realworldautomotive.com

# 7  12/21/2010 3:18 PM

jon8817

So basically, no one makes this sensor any more. I have found several sites that offer rebuilt KM177-8   transaxles so they are either assuming the old sensor will be transferred to the rebuilt unit or they have a source. It would be nice to know, because there is no reliable overdrive in this transaxle with out this sensor! My next goal is to rebuild this transaxle. I would install a used one and rebuild at my leisure. I have checked my local area for parts and found out most of the electronics were dealer only. I will probably get most of what I need online.  I have been looking for a used transmission sensor online, so far I have not found any. A few places have the whole transaxle but don't want to remove any parts.The search continues! Thanks again!

Jon8817  sends

# 8  12/27/2010 10:24 PM

jon8817

Hello, I am back from Myrtle Beach ahead of the snow and ice!  I went through my notes and found the wiring connections I used. The connections are: Black - Blue,  Green/Yellow - Black, and Yellow/white - green. (Black, Green/Yellow, and Yellow/White are from the TCU). I drove the vehicle today for about 30 minutes just to make sure and it shifted fine! It is possible this sensor was changed out before I purchased the vehicle. That is the only logical explanation I come up with. I have been thinking about the last two wiring combinations would they be worth trying or should I leave well enough alone?

# 9  12/28/2010 5:11 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Thanks for getting back to me with this important information and sharing it with us.

It will be very helpful to me and to others who read this for this similar wiring problem.

I'm glad it all worked out for you.

realworldautomotive.com

# 10  12/31/2010 12:37 PM

Administrator
Administrator

jon8817 wrote:

I have been thinking about the last two wiring combinations would they be worth trying or should I leave well enough alone?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Let it go for now.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.