Ford Contour:

car stopped in running position

You are not logged in.

# 1  10/28/2010 2:59 PM

johnpeople

car stopped in running position

well i have a 1995 ford contour 2.0 liter i was driving when i cut the car off had to jump it but an hour later i still

was driving was sitting still and the car just went dead no nothing got a jump still nothing got the battery charge

did not need it checked mega fuse for ohm good now it just makes the sound when u put the key in but gets

weak when u turn it over and  u might get a chick sound then nothing again can u please help

# 2  10/28/2010 4:06 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: car stopped in running position

It sounds like the battery is not charging or may have a bad battery cable.

The first thing you need to do is check to see if the Alternator is charging. The charging rate should be 14.2 volts when the engine is running.

Check to see if the fan belt is not slipping and is tight.

Check all the battery cables to make sure they are clean of all corrosion and are tight.

Check these suggestions out and get back to us to let us know how you made out.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  10/28/2010 8:35 PM

johnpeople

well i checked the cables they were good but car won't do anything for me to check alternator headlights strong

so any help on how to check the alternator i will be happy to do so

# 4  10/28/2010 9:03 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Hook up a battery charger to the battery for about 12 hours. You can't check the charging system correctly unless you have a fully charged battery.

Try to start the car, if it runs then hook up a VOLT/OHM meter to the battery. Check the voltage; it should be between 13.0 to 14.0 volts.

If you can't do any of this you can remove the alternator and take it to Auto Zone, they will check it for free.

Let us know how you make out.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  10/30/2010 7:59 AM

johnpeople

well i jumped it off yesterday and it started the rest of the day and today but i unhook the battery to put in cooling

fan fuse hooked it back up would not start again jumped it checked voltage 14.3 or 14.5 cut it off would not start

again now loss all over again

# 6  10/30/2010 9:43 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

When you disconnect the battery, the computer loses the memory it had stored for certain sensors. If you get the car started you need to drive it over 35 MPH to reset the Idle Air Control Motor, this will allow the car to idle and not stall. If you don't have to, don't disconnect the battery again.

If you can bring the car to your local Auto Zone, they will scan the computer for free and tell you if any codes are set in the computer. Repair any codes that may come up.

Keep us informed.

realworldautomotive.com

# 7  10/31/2010 5:33 PM

johnpeople

well they said they only do 96 and up so no luck there but now i drove it and each shift the car jerks and when

slow down it jerks does that have something to do with the computer also forgot it didn't have a  good take off

but now it does with the jerks in each shift.

# 8  11/1/2010 2:55 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

You need to go to someone who has a scanner so we can see what is going on with the computer system. Engine problems can cause poor running conditions making you press on the gas pedal further than it needs to be causing the transmission to shift hard and late. There can also be a transmission problem. Thats why we need to have someone scan the computer for codes.

Your local repair shop will scan it for you, for a fee I presume, and then let me know what codes are present. Then we can go from there.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.