GMC Envoy:

Gauge Problem

You are not logged in.

# 1  9/24/2010 3:11 AM

jl

Gauge Problem

Hello my problem is that my gas gauge (needle) is not accurate. I have a 2004 Envoy XUV. The needle varies and so does the miles to empty as well. My question is does that mean that the float is bad? If so, is it in the gas tank and will I have to drop the tank in order to change it. What will I need to do to change the float and what tools will I need? Also, is there any other reasons why I would be having this problem. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by jl (9/24/2010 3:19 AM)

# 2  9/24/2010 11:49 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Gauge Problem

If the fuel level sender is not accurate then the information it sends to the PCM will be inaccurate letting the PCM give the wrong information to the fuel gauge and mileage computer.

The fuel level sender is part of the fuel module inside the fuel tank. The fuel tank needs to be removed to replace the fuel level sender.

The removal requires the use of a lift, jacks to lower the fuel tank from the body of the truck and special tools to remove the retaining clip that holds in the fuel pump assembly into the fuel tank. 

Sometimes the problem could be electrical and needs to be properly diagnosed with computer scanners and volt/ohm meters. 

If you are not familiar with this type of repair then it should be diagnosed by a qualified Automotive Professional.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.