Dodge Caravan:

Van won't start

You are not logged in.

#1 8/9/2010 3:28 AM

ShellHope

Van won't start

2002 Dodge Caravan Sport, 3.3 L engine. Replaced starter 3 weeks ago. Now having exact same problem before starter was replaced. After a couple of weeks, car did fast clicks when attempting to start. Turned engine off and tried again and car started. Now, when attempting to start, the word 'done' in the trip displays. Heard a click, click, click sound at first, but now hear a click and silence. The gears all light up (P,R,D, etc) when turning on ignition. Where do I start to look for cause?

Dodge Caravan Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 8/9/2010 3:04 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Van won't start

The first thing to look for is to see if the charging system is working properly.

To do this you need to charge the battery with a battery charger.

Make sure the battery cables are clean of all corrosion on both ends and the top of the battery is clean. You can clean the top of the battery with a mixture of water and baking soda and put it on top of the battery for a few minutes and then wash if off. This will remove any sulfating on the top of the battery. Only do this if the battery is older than a few years and DON'T get any inside the battery, it will kill the battery.

If you don't have a maintenance free battery then you need to check the water level in the battery. Only fill the battery (if needed) with distilled water.

Having the battery load tested and having the specific gravity of the battery acid checked at your local Auto Parts Store or local Professional Mechanic can determine the health of the battery.

Start the van and with a volt meter on the two terminals of the battery check to see if the charging rate is between 13.0V to 14.0V. If it is under 13.0V then you probably have a faulty Alternator. If it is over 15.0V the alternator is overcharging which means the voltage regulator in the PCM may be faulty and the PCM needs to be replaced. This condition can boil the water out of the battery.

Check the condition of the fan belt and make sure it is not slipping causing an under charging condition.

Try these few suggestions and let us know how you make out.

Get back to us if you need more information.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 5/26/2011 4:39 PM

Ray Robinson

I have Dodge Caravan 2002 SE : My van started up today. then when I turned it off and attempted to start up again I heard only clicking sounds and it would not start up. What do you think might be the problem and how can I diagnosis the problem?

#4 5/26/2011 10:54 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

It sounds like the battery went dead on you.

The first thing to check is to see if the battery connections are clean and not corroded. Clean any cables that look corroded.

Check to see if the charging system is operating properly. The proper charging voltage is between 13.0Volts to 14.0 Volts.

Check the battery to see if it is still good. If you have a battery charger charge the battery overnight; and you can bring it to Auto Zone, they will probably check it out for free. They will tell you if it passes or fails.

If you don't have any test equipment, you can also bring it to Auto Zone and they can scan your computer system and charging system to see if there any trouble codes that would cause this problem.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#5 4/12/2014 12:24 AM

beckymossor89

Thanks for the solution buddy. I had the same problem, now it's gone. Thanks again.

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.