Auto Repair Shops:

transmission change and responsibility of doing a good job

You are not logged in.

#1 8/4/2010 4:54 PM

Royal3

transmission change and responsibility of doing a good job

Brought my truck to a nationally known transmission shop with a blown transmission.  They changed out my transmission and I brought the rear drive manual transmission home.  I started on a long trip and the U-joint (attached to the drive shaft where it enters the transmission) gave out after less than 100 miles, about 70.  I was doing about 70 and driving straight down the highway.  I was asked and told that I may have, hit something on the rode, I did not see or hear anything.  The u-joint gave no indication of being bad before or after I brought it to the shop (I never heard or felt any sloppiness, noise or vibration) the drive shaft broke a piece off the new used transmission, disconnected the emergency brake cables (when I set the emergency brake when I stopped, the drivers air bag deployed?), ripped the drive shaft loop support off the bottom of the truck, tore up the drive shaft, and I didn't see the rest.  My question is, Should the mechanic be held responsible for not inspecting and notifying me of  the U-joint condition?  The U-joint was old enough that the rubber had started peeling back from the metal (saw this when I got it back to the shop).   The U-joint is the U-joint attached to the hub attached to the spline entering the transmission.  I paid 2000 dollars for the trust and quality, I could have changed out the transmission for less than a 1000 and changed the u-joint (I'm old and tired).  The Lord has taken care of me, I'd rather pay a young family than do it myself.  I'd like to be fair so I will listen to all help given.

God Bless
Roy

Last edited by Royal3 (8/4/2010 8:29 PM)

Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 8/5/2010 1:35 AM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: transmission change and responsibility of doing a good job

Kind of an odd situation. Typically, when a U-joint is worn and on it's way out, it will make all kinds of noise and vibration.

You would have to drive lots of miles hearing and feeling the problem before it got to the point of breaking and launching the drive shaft.

It could be a freak thing, like losing a U-joint C-clip or something like that.

But something else comes to mind seeing that there was a new transmission installed. If the new transmission was slightly shorter, the slip yoke on the front of the drive shaft may not have been splined far enough on to the transmission's output shaft. Meaning, you could hit a dip in the road and the drive shaft would actually fall out the back of the transmission.

As far as the technician not noticing deteriorated seals at the joints is concerned; yes, they should have, but I wouldn't consider missing that a crime.

There's got to be more to the story.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 8/5/2010 6:09 AM

Royal3

When I picked up my truck, they told me they had put a transmission in that wasn't exactly the same as the original, maybe you hit the nail on the head. 

I was coming down the bridge, don't know if that makes a difference, and there's a bump as you come off the bridge, maybe the angle and bump combined did the job. 

Thanks very much for your assistance.

God Bless
Roy

#4 8/5/2010 8:17 AM

Royal3

What transmissions will fit correctly in a 1995 Toyota T100, 4 cyl, 5 speed?

Last edited by Royal3 (8/5/2010 8:19 AM)

#5 8/7/2010 12:53 AM

Administrator
Administrator

That's what a slip yoke is for, it travels in and out of the back of the transmission to compensate for the changing driveline length as the suspension goes up and down.

Call Toyota parts, give them the VIN, and they will tell you exactly what transmission belongs in the truck.

If you want to see what others might fit, call a salvage yard and they can run it through their mix & match database.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.