Pontiac Grand Am:

rear right wheel is locked up

You are not logged in.

# 1  7/9/2010 12:00 PM

ftbllmike63

rear right wheel is locked up

I have a 2003 Pontiac grand am V6 that has been sitting for quite a while.  When I go to move it the rear right wheel does not turn.  Does anyone know what this problem could be and how I could go about fixing it?

# 2  7/9/2010 2:56 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: rear right wheel is locked up

If the car has been sitting for a while there are a few things that could or happened.

The rear brake pads may have rusted to the brake rotor. You can try shocking the rotor and caliper with a hammer by hitting it hard enough to loosen the rust without bending anything. Then you should replace the brake pads and cut the rotors.

If you parked the car and then applied the emergency brake, make sure both sides released. Sometimes the emergency brake cable can seize, and keep it in the applied position and not allow that particular wheel to move. Replacing the cable if it is bad is the only fix for this problem, if you have it.

The rear bearing on that wheel might have seized. It could have been going bad when you parked it and water got into the bearing and rusted it. This is not common but should be looked into if the above solutions don't work.

I would start with the first one and go from there.

Let us know how you make out.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  7/9/2010 4:41 PM

ftbllmike63

Thanks for the help. I got the wheel off and broke the drum brake free from all the rust. Got it to turn, lubes it up and put it back together. I appreciate the timely response.

# 4  7/9/2010 6:02 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Your welcome, anytime we can help just let us know.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.