Pontiac Grand Am:

Odometer stopped and Low fuel Light

You are not logged in.

# 1  7/8/2010 12:56 AM

bobriem

Odometer stopped and Low fuel Light

I don't know if these items on a 2002 Grand AM (4cyl auto) are related, but here goes. My wife tells me that her odometer no longer increments but does read out and even though she has 3/4 of a tank, the low fuel light is on. To complicate things, I am out of town and an trying to diagnose over the phone. At any rate, could these two be related and do you have some suggestions? Apparently everything else works.
Thanks

# 2  7/8/2010 2:50 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Odometer stopped and Low fuel Light

It sounds like you have two problems. Scanning the computer can tell us if there are any trouble codes stored that may be related to these problems.

The IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) illuminates the low fuel indicator when the IPC detects that the fuel level is less than 14 percent. The indicator is an LED on the fuel gage. The IPC receives a class 2 message indicating fuel level percent from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

There is a Service Bulletin on an inaccurate fuel gauge reading it is 01-06-04-008D, it describes the replacement of the fuel sender in the fuel module inside the fuel tank. Even though you have a fuel reading the low fuel light is on and this may be caused by the faulty sender.

The Odometer not working may be caused by a fault inside the speedometer. If the speedometer gives you the speed you are driving at and the odometer is not working tells me that the speed sensor inside the transmission is working and the fault is probably in the speedometer itself.

Let me know if this is helpful information. If more information is needed, I will be glad to assist you further.

Last edited by TechHelp2 (7/8/2010 3:02 PM)

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.