Jeep Comanche:

manual transmission leaks

You are not logged in.

# 1  7/2/2010 3:25 AM

CapnStover

manual transmission leaks

i have an 88 Comanche with a 2.5 and 4 speed manual transmission. today my clutch went. it wasn't like "its been acting funny and finally went". no, it just went! the clutch pedal goes to the floor, the reservoir doesn't hold fluid, i couldn't really tell where it was leaking from due to rain but the fluid was collecting between the transmission and flywheel housings I suspect an internal leak. i would really appreciate any help with trouble shooting/ correcting this problem as the Haynes manual was less than helpful. i would like to know specifically what the most likely cause is and whether or not this is something that can be repaired at all. i really love my truck and don't like other mechanics working on her if at all possible, but i don't want to sell her either. Any help appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by CapnStover (7/2/2010 3:29 AM)

# 2  7/2/2010 1:52 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: manual transmission leaks

Yes, this can be repaired but it doesn't look cheap.

From what you are explaining to me is that the Hydraulic eccentric bearing or slave cylinder has blown and the entire assembly must be replaced as a complete unit.

Not like other cars, the transmission needs to be removed to access this hydraulic part.

When the slave cylinder blew it sprayed the entire clutch area with brake fluid.

The clutch is probably soaked and contaminated with brake fluid and also needs to be replaced. 

Sorry for the bad news but if there is anything else you may need help with please let us know

Last edited by TechHelp2 (7/2/2010 1:53 PM)

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  7/3/2010 12:31 AM

CapnStover

Re: manual transmission leaks

thanks again i appreciate the advise. now i just have to wait for the weather to clear!

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.