Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

1996 MONTE CARLO Z34 ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

You are not logged in.

# 1  6/29/2010 12:07 AM

lionell8732

1996 MONTE CARLO Z34 ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

IM HAVING TROUBLES WITH MY POWER WINDOWS AND THEY WOULD LET DOWN BUT WHEN I TRY TO LET THEM UP THEY GET STUCK AND I JUST CHANGE BOTH OF MY POWER SWITCHES AS WELL AND STILL THEY ACTING CRAZY ALSO WHEN I TRIED TO CHANGE MY FUSES TO THE POWER WINDOWS THE FUSES BLEW OUT QUICKLY SO I JSUT WANNA NO WHATS CAUSING THIS TO HAPPEN. I HAVEA 1996 MONTE CARLO Z34

# 2  6/29/2010 12:45 AM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1996 MONTE CARLO Z34 ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

It's a little unclear, but if a fuse is blowing while operating the power windows, there's a short somewhere. It could be a bad power window motor drawing excessive current, or a wire touching ground.

The first thing you should determine is which window blows the fuse. Replace the fuse and run the left window up and down. If it blows, replace the fuse again and run the right window up and down.

If you can determine which side is causing the problem, disconnect the electrical connector at that particular power window motor. If the fuse no longer blows, you got a bad motor. If it continues to blow with the motor disconnected, there's a short to ground in the circuit (s) feeding 12 volts to that motor.

Try that and let us know what you come up with.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  7/17/2010 9:47 PM

lionell8732

I started with the driver side first and when i tried to let it up the fuse blew like that so i started with the other side and it pretty much did the same. Do have any ideal of what should i do next.

# 4  7/18/2010 4:19 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Did you disconnect the window motors like the administrator told you to do?

With the motors disconnected you eliminate them from the circuit. Now try the switch. If you can work the switch and the fuse doesn't blow then the motor is probably the problem. If the fuse still blows then you have a short in the window circuit and you would need a good wire schematic to trace the wires to see where they go. then check the wire harness to see if it may have rubbed through and grounding out causing a short and blowing a fuse.

Also check the window regulator. If the regulator is binding then it will cause the motor to strain and cause excessive resistance in the motor and blow the fuse. The problem may not be electrical but may be in the window mechanical mechanism itself.

Keep on looking and let us know how you make out.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.