Chevrolet Silverado 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

is there anything special to change brake fluid

You are not logged in.

# 1  6/12/2010 1:55 AM

corvairaffair

is there anything special to change brake fluid

I am replacing the rear brake shoes on my 2007 silverado.  I would like to flush the brake fluid also. Is there anything special to do since the ABS is involved? I am using a vacuum pump to pull the fluid.

# 2  6/12/2010 4:09 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: is there anything special to change brake fluid

Why are you flushing the brake system, is the brake fluid contaminated?

Is the rubber seal on the Master Cylinder swollen or distorted?

Inspect the brake fluid for the following conditions, if you suspect brake fluid contamination:

1. Fluid separation, indicating two types of fluid are present; a substance other than the recommended brake fluid has been introduced into the brake hydraulic system.
2. Swirled appearance - oil-based substance.
3. Layered appearance - silicone-based substance.
4. Fluid discoloration, indicating the presence of moisture or particles that have been introduced into the brake hydraulic system.
5. Cloudy appearance - moisture.
6. Dark appearance/suspended particles in fluid - dirt, rust, corrosion, and brake dust.

The truck is only three years old; there shouldn't be any problem with the fluid. If you have been towing a trailer or boat or over heated the brakes repeatedly then it could be considered.

If contamination is not seen then replacing the brake fluid is not needed. You are only looking for more work, more mess, and more problems if you do something wrong.

With ABS brakes , bleeding the complete system there is a section of the bleeding procedure that requires a scanner.

If you need to flush the system then it is recommended to use the pressure system, having someone help pump the brake slowly while you bleed the brake system starting at the right rear wheel first, then going to the left rear, right front and finally the left front. Use a clear hose or vacuum hose to put over the bleeder, put the other end into a bottle. As you pump the brake pedal slowly the bottle will fill up with brake fluid. Keeping the hose submerged in the brake fluid will stop any air from getting into the brake system. Bleed the brakes with the key on so you can observe the brake light making sure the light does not go on when bleeding the system.

If you are just changing the brakes as a maintenance procedure, and no other problem is seen or felt, then the brake job is probably all you need.

If you need the complete bleeding procedure then you can get it at ALLDATAdiy.com

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.