Nissan / Datsun Altima:

Brake Lights remain on even with key off | Page 2

You are not logged in.

#11 6/17/2010 6:28 PM

tbarr

Re: Brake Lights remain on even with key off

Thank you! I pulled and tested the switch and it works fine. Open circuit with the plunger is depressed (brake pedal at rest) and closed when plunger springs out (brake pedal pressed). I used an audible volt meter to test it, could it still be the switch?

Nissan / Datsun Altima Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#12 6/17/2010 8:16 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

When you disconnected the brake switch did the brake lights go out?

With the brake switch disconnected, use your volt meter and ground the black lead to the meter, take the red lead and check for voltage on the brake switch plug. You should only have voltage on one wire. If you have power to both sides then something in the circuit is supplying power to the red/green stripe (B) on the plug. The red/yellow stripe (A) is powered by fuse number 18. 

In the past posts number 7 and 9 I mentioned this. Did you disconnect the emergency flasher and the directional flasher? What happened?

When you put the car in gear do you need to step on the brake to move the shift lever?

According to the schematic the Automatic Speed Control Device is in the circuit.  Automatic Shift Lock is in the circuit and the Antilock Brake system is in the circuit.

These need to be disconnected to eliminate them from the circuit and check if the brake lights go out.

If this starts getting to complicated then I suggest you have your local automotive professional and get his opinion on this.

You can also get the wire schematics and complete brake light circuit information at ALLDATAdiy.com

Last edited by TechHelp2 (6/17/2010 8:18 PM)

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#13 6/22/2010 5:34 PM

tbarr

I test the electrical connector and did not detect voltage on either lead. Is that possible? I had the fuse in and the brake lights were on while I tested the connector that plugs into the brake light switch. Nothing!

#14 6/22/2010 5:37 PM

tbarr

Forgot to add I have disconnected every fuse and relay one at a time and the lights stayed on during every test.

I did not look up where the flasher (s) are. Can you help me find those?

Thanks

#15 6/23/2010 1:28 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

I am not sure but the connector for the flasher module is to the right of the steering column by the emergency light switch. It is either part of the Emergency light switch or is next to it. The diagram shows that it might be a combination of the directional flasher and emergency flasher. It may be called a Flasher Module.

Disconnect it and see if the lights go out. Also look into disconnecting the directional switch at the bottom of the steering column. This will eliminate the Directional switch from the circuit; now see if the lights are out.

If your lights are still on then you have a complicated problem that would probably be better handled by an experienced Automotive Technician.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.