Saturn L-Series:

start-up problem

You are not logged in.

# 1  5/29/2010 7:19 PM

Bruce Shelton

start-up problem

I own a 2005 Saturn L-300 sedan, 6-cylinder, automatic transmission, A/C, power windows/brakes/steering.  It has 65,000 miles on it and was purchased from a Toyota dealer.  The car is in mint condition (I've owned it for a year now) and I am obsessive when it comes to the care of this vehicle.  Within the last month, I have experienced, on occasion, problems starting the car.  As the battery was original equipment, I replaced it with a top-of-the-line "Interstate" 85 month battery, and had the shop do a complete check to make sure the charging system, etc. was OK.  They advised that everything checked out...but the problem persists.  There is no consistency to the problem - I can go days without this problem...and then suddenly it will happen several times during the course of an hour.  It can happen when the engine is cold...or when it's been running for a while.  I'm getting plenty of juice from the battery, and the starter motor is turning...but "something" is not connecting, 'cause it just keeps cranking.  I'm worried that someday I'll be in the middle of nowhere, and this condition will occur...and I'll either drain the battery or flood the engine trying to get it to started.  It remains both a mystery - and a concern - to me.  Any thoughts?   My thanks in advance.

# 2  5/29/2010 9:56 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: start-up problem

Are you describing a battery problem or a continuous cranking and no start problem?

I would suspect the fuel system is bleeding down over a period of time and you are trying to start the engine with no fuel pressure, then after cranking for about twenty to thirty seconds it will start.

If this problem happens again try this. If it doesn't start, turn the ignition off, wait 10 seconds then turn the ignition on again for 5 seconds, turn the ignition off again for 10 seconds, then turn the ignition on again for 5 seconds then try to start the car. The reason for all of this is that the car when turned on has a 2 second prime of the fuel pump. Turning the ignition on and off will build up the fuel pressure. If the car started after this then suspect the fuel pump.

A fuel pressure test should be done to check if the fuel pressure bleeds down over a period of time. Usually the check valve in the fuel is at fault.

Your mechanic can confirm this with the proper fuel testing procedure.

Last edited by TechHelp2 (5/29/2010 9:59 PM)

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  10/10/2012 7:23 PM

christinakj2

I have an L-300 from 2004.  I am having the same problem.  I was told that there is a problem with the security system.  When it doesn't start, it's because the car thinks it's trying to be stolen.

# 4  10/15/2012 3:32 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Anything's possible, but you have to start out by duplicating the problem and testing for fuel, spark and injector pulse. That's what points you in the right direction.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.