Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

Massive Pressure build up in upper radiator hose blew antifreeze

You are not logged in.

#1 4/29/2010 4:39 PM

nerecovery

Massive Pressure build up in upper radiator hose blew antifreeze

Hello everyone I am in need of some help I have a 1989 Dodge Ram 150 pick up truck with a 318 V-8
When I was driving home I noticed temp gauge was rising I pulled into a parking lot and seen antifreeze dripping from drivers side block. I climbed under and seen that the front freeze plug came out. The plug was just barely on and it was a brass and looked like a cap. I went to Autozone and got a replacement freeze plug. That one was rubber with 2 metal plates and a nut & bolt. I installed that and filled the radiator back up with antifreeze the truck was running and there were air bubbles coming to the top of the radiator for quite some time. Then the upper radiator hose began to expand and it seemed as if it were ready to explode pressure started coming out where ever it could mainly the connections to the thermostat housing I pulled the thermostat thinking maybe it was stuck closed but to my surprise it was stuck wide open. When I put the radiator cap back on the antifreeze started bubbling in the overflow tank. I checked to see if the radiator was clogged up but it is not, water flows right through.
Can Anyone Help Me With What Might Be Causing This.
I would greatly appreciate it. This is my only vehicle to get to work
and I have 4 kids I am desperate.

Thank you SO Much.
J Sr.

Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 4/29/2010 7:19 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Massive Pressure build up in upper radiator hose blew antifreeze

When the freeze out plug came out it drained the engine block of all the antifreeze. When you replaced the plug and filled up the radiator the engine block was now air bound. Even though the thermostat was open the engine is slightly higher than the neck of the radiator and the air can't escape.

Make sure the thermostat is installed properly and nothing else is leaking.

You can run the engine with the radiator cap off for a while and keep topping off the radiator or you can jack up the front of the truck leaving the radiator cap off and run the engine. This will force the air to leave the engine block. It may take some time but you will soon be back to normal.

There is still a possibility of a blown head gasket causing the bubbles in the radiator. If it is blown, compression gases leak into the block and increase pressure till it leaks past the radiator cap and into the expansion tank. Pumping up the cooling system with a radiator pressure checker can help diagnose the problem. Pulling the spark plugs out and waiting a few minutes then crank the engine; the cylinder that sprays out antifreeze from the spark plug hole is where the head gasket is leaking.

When jacking up the truck always use proper jack stands to support the trucks weight and chock the rear wheels so it can't roll.

Please keep us informed on your progress.

Last edited by TechHelp2 (4/30/2010 3:50 AM)

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

#3 5/1/2010 6:20 AM

nerecovery

cool Wow Thanks a bunch. I ran the truck for about an hour with the radiator cap off. Then I put the cap back on  and drove the truck for a good 45
minutes and the problem was gone. I greatly appreciate your help. This saved me time and probably a lot of money I can not Thank you enough. I am now able to get to and from work now.

TechHelp2 wrote:

When the freeze out plug came out it drained the engine block of all the antifreeze. When you replaced the plug and filled up the radiator the engine block was now air bound. Even though the thermostat was open the engine is slightly higher than the neck of the radiator and the air can't escape.

Make sure the thermostat is installed properly and nothing else is leaking.

You can run the engine with the radiator cap off for a while and keep topping off the radiator or you can jack up the front of the truck leaving the radiator cap off and run the engine. This will force the air to leave the engine block. It may take some time but you will soon be back to normal.

There is still a possibility of a blown head gasket causing the bubbles in the radiator. If it is blown, compression gases leak into the block and increase pressure till it leaks past the radiator cap and into the expansion tank. Pumping up the cooling system with a radiator pressure checker can help diagnose the problem. Pulling the spark plugs out and waiting a few minutes then crank the engine; the cylinder that sprays out antifreeze from the spark plug hole is where the head gasket is leaking.

When jacking up the truck always use proper jack stands to support the trucks weight and chock the rear wheels so it can't roll.

Please keep us informed on your progress.

#4 5/1/2010 1:36 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Glad we could help. If you have any problems in the future we will do what we can to help.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.