Chrysler LHS:

brake repair

You are not logged in.

# 1  4/20/2010 9:33 PM

mroman59

brake repair

I have a 1994 Chrysler LHS with read disc brakes. I have to change the emergency brake pads in addition to the rear brakes. The parking brake actuator lever seized up on one side and one emergency shoe wore down.

I am using a Haynes Repair manual for installation, but it does not answer the following question. 

Does the adjuster star wheel install in the same direction on both sides.  I noticed the orientation on one side, but on the other side I neglected to look.

I did notice one thing however, if I were to install them in opposite directions, I believe the star wheel on one side, would not line up with the hole in the backside of the brake backing plate for adjusting with a screw driver, so I am assuming that both star wheels should be oriented in the same direction.

Please advise, and thanks.

This is my first time using this site, I hope I am posting in the correct place.

# 2  4/20/2010 11:16 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: brake repair

The left adjuster has the left handed threads; the right has the right handed threads.

When installed correctly the adjuster wheel should align with the adjuster slot. You should be able to move the adjuster wheel one way and not the other. You know you have the correct side when you adjust the shoes and the adjuster wheel moves easily with each click and the adjuster will move out.

If you have them backwards you will notice the pedal get lower the longer you drive and the need to pump the brake pedal more than once to stop.

Last edited by TechHelp2 (4/20/2010 11:17 PM)

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  4/21/2010 12:49 AM

mroman59

Thanks for your help.  However, you may be thinking of drum brakes in the rear.  This LHS has rear disc brakes and it has a separate set up emergency shoes that fit inside the rotor (like a drum).  I looked at the old adjuster star wheels that I took off of the emergency brake shoes.  They both turn in the same direction.  There is no left or right threading, if I understand you correctly.  Since this is the emergency brake shoes only and not the rear pads, then I don't see how I can loose brake pedal.  The car stops by the pads and not the emergency shoes. The instructions say to adjust the star wheel so that the emergency pads will be 6 3/4 in apart be for you put on the rotors and the caliper.  When you put brand new shoes on and thread the star wheels all the way in it is automatically set at 6 3/4 inches. 

I don't think that the emergency shoes should ever ware down unless you have to apply them if there is some kind of emergency.  Only one out my 4 shoes was worn down and I think that was because the parking brake actuator lever seized up and was constantly being worn down as the tire turning. The other 3 shoes looked original thickness since they were last looked at about 30K miles ago.  I only noticed the one worn shoe as I went to change the rear pads. 

So I don't think that the star wheel adjusters are self-adjusting as in rear drum brakes, but I could be wrong.

I hope this makes sense.

Please advise... your help is appreciated

# 4  4/21/2010 4:44 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Sorry for the miscommunication. If the two adjusters screw adjust in the same direction then is shouldn't matter which side it goes on.

Make sure that the emergency brake cable is loosened enough so it has a little slack in it and that all of the emergency brake cables move freely. Make sure the emergency brake levers are also moving freely so the problem doesn't happen again. 

Adjust the shoe diameter to 6.75 in. Tighten the rotor adjustment nut to specifications while turning the rotor to seat the bearings, back off adjusting nut 1/4 turn, then tighten hand tight. Align spindle to nut holes for cotter pin insertion. Remember to keep all brake surfaces free of any grease or brake fluid.

Tighten emergency brake cable till there is a slight drag on the rear wheels, back off adjusting nut two full turns past the point both rear wheels rotate freely. Then check parking brake operation and make sure you have a good brake pedal before test driving the car.

If there is anything we can do for you in the future let us know we are always glad to help.

Last edited by TechHelp2 (4/21/2010 5:06 AM)

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 5  5/21/2011 4:26 AM

wrightmercy

i hope that this might be a help, when i got troubled in brake disc get the manual. if this does not worked Follow the instructions to the T and it will be just like having a mechanic do it. or let it check by a car repair man for you to know what should you do or you can ask them to see if what you did is right. that's what i did.

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.