Nissan / Datsun Sentra:

GETTING CAR BACK ON THE ROAD

You are not logged in.

# 1  4/1/2010 1:24 AM

twherlong

GETTING CAR BACK ON THE ROAD

I WOULD LIKE TO GET MY 1988 NISSAN SENTRA BACK ON TH ROAD AFTER SITTING FOR TWO YEARS! PLUS MY FIFTH GEAR IS GONE AND GRINDS WHEN I TRIED TO PUT IT IN GEAR, DO I NEED A NEW CLUTCH OR CAN THIS BE FIXED? CAN I JUST ADD GAS TO THE TANK, I DON'T REMEMBER HOW MUCH GAS WAS IN THERE? OR CAN I ADD A SOLUTION  PLUS GAS TO GET IT STARTED?  WILL IT START WITH THE OLD OIL IN IT?  WHAT MUST I DO I REALLY WANT TO KEEP THE CAR NOW THAT I HAVE THE MONEY TO GET IT BACK ON THE ROAD. I REALLY LIKE THE CAR PLUS IT IS A FOUR WHEEL DRIVE WHICH IS GOOD FOR THE WEATHER WHERE I LIVE.  HELP

# 2  4/1/2010 3:00 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: GETTING CAR BACK ON THE ROAD

If the car ran good before you put it into storage, then there shouldn't be much of a problem.

When fuel sits for a long time it turns to almost a varnish and doesn't burn properly. It can cause poor running conditions and no starts. You should change the fuel in the tank and the fuel filter. If the oil needed changing when you stored the car then the oil change wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Make sure you check all of the other fluids, fan belts and hoses before you start the car.

When a vehicle sits for a long time they can get small animals inside the vehicle where they make nests. They can do a lot of damage like eating wires, vacuum hoses, air filters and under hood insulation. They also leave urine and feces in the A/C ducts and interior of the car causing undesirable odors and stains. Checking for this can eliminate future problems. 

If you can shift the first four gears without any problem then it shouldn't be the clutch. It sounds like the parts related to fifth gear are probably worn out and need replacing.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.