Saturn L-Series:

Instrument gauges

You are not logged in.

#1 3/24/2010 5:11 PM

slt

Instrument gauges

I have a 2000 Saturn LS1 Driving down the road all instrument gauges stop working. I pulled over and switched car off and restart car they went back to working could this be a grounding problem?

Saturn L-Series Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 3/24/2010 5:57 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: Instrument gauges

The gauges are controlled by a serial data circuit which feeds information to the instrument cluster. Not so simple, like in the past.

The correct procedure is to install a scan tool and check for trouble codes in the Powertrain Control Module and the Body Control Module memory. Often times a trouble code will lead you in the right direction of the fault, which may require further diagnostics with a digital volt/ohm meter.

Possible causes can be a lot of things, and I don't see any related technical service bulletins. It could be a poor ground or power feed to the cluster, a bad connection in the serial data line, and so on.

If I had to guess, it might be the cluster itself (internal problem requiring replacement) or a poor terminal connection at the cluster connector. You might try banging on the dash a few times with the ignition on. If the gauges shutdown or jump around on impact, it's probably the cluster or cluster connection.

The cluster terminal should be checked by inserting a correct male terminal into the female terminal to be sure there's a notable drag going in and out -- loose is no-good.

If it only did it once, I'd wait until it happens again before investing any time and money.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else
Saturn L-Series Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.