Chevrolet Malibu:

Turn signals on 2003 malibu

You are not logged in.

# 1  3/22/2010 2:51 PM

falconlll

Turn signals on 2003 malibu

I have a 2003 Malibu and my turn signals work when it cool out side, although the right signal flashes really fast when I apply the brakes the left one is normal. The problem is when it gets warm out like in the 70's and 80's they
just stop working altogether.

any ideas?

Thank you
falconlll

# 2  3/22/2010 3:30 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: Turn signals on 2003 malibu

Hi,

I guess your were able to logon. Please let me know if you have any other problems.

On the turn signals, take it one step at a time. If you turn on the right directionals, and they flash rapidly, you probably have a bulb out or a bad connection at the bulb socket.

Turn the directionals on and walk around the car looking for the bulb that's out. You can compare them to the left side to determine which should be on.

When you find it, remove the bulb and inspect the bulb and socket. Often you can see the broken filament within the bulb, or excessive corrosion at the bulb terminals.

Let me know what you find.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  3/29/2010 6:15 PM

falconlll

2003 Malibu turn signals 
The right turn signal only flashes at a fast rate when the brake is applied, the left is ok.

Last edited by falconlll (3/29/2010 6:16 PM)

# 4  3/29/2010 8:22 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

There is a service bulletin 00-08-42-007C that may help with your problem.

The bulletin states that if moisture is evident in the tail light housing it could have some affect to the brake light or tail light operation. Your directional lights are part of the tail light circuit. This condition may be caused by the moisture on the circuit board inside the tail light.The gasket in the tail light housing itself being faulty may be letting moisture into the lamp assembly.

Replacement of the light bulb, circuit board or the tail light housing itself may be needed depending on the extent of the water damage.

realworldautomotive.com

# 5  4/19/2010 7:33 PM

falconlll

I am really having a problem here with this 2003 Malibu turn signals, I have checked the tail lights for moisture due to leaks found some but not much. I dried everything that I could find, and even replaced the bulbs just in case. They seem to work fine when the temp. is cooler, except that the right rear still flashes at a fast rate when I apply the breaks. As the temp. gets warmer outside they stop working all together, then a little later they start working for a little while then stop again. The Hazard flashers seem to be OK. What in the world is going on? it is like it is possessed.

falconlll

# 6  4/19/2010 10:51 PM

Administrator
Administrator

If you can produce the problem (signal blinking fast) it's a matter of testing for proper power and ground at each bulb socket. If it's not happening try jiggling the bulbs to instigate the symptom.

Remember, you can have a bad bulb in the right front, and the right rear will blink fast.

Not sure on this one, but sometimes an incorrect bulb (wrong resistance) can cause problems. Also, some bulbs can be installed backwards.

realworldautomotive.com

# 7  4/30/2010 5:00 PM

falconlll

Found my problem, was a bad tail light circuit board assembly water had gotten in and rusted the metal connections and pins.

Thank you all

John  (falconlll)

# 8  4/30/2010 7:49 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Glad we were able to help. If we can be of any assistance in the future please let us know.

realworldautomotive.com

# 9  6/14/2010 3:24 PM

falconlll

Have gotten part of my problem solved, everything works now, but I do still have one problem to solve.

When it really gets hot out side the turn signals stop working, some times if I push the emergency flashers then turn them off the turn signals will sometimes start working, but most of the time they won't. Usually when I first drive the car they work fine then later I'll use the signals and they have stopped again.

This erratic operation is driving me nuts. Any clues that might help?

Thank you

falconlll

# 10  6/14/2010 4:31 PM

TechHelp2
Administrator

TURN SIGNAL LAMPS

The HAZARD LPS fuse in the left hand instrument panel (LH IP) junction block supplies battery positive voltage to the flasher module, which is part of the hazard switch assembly. The TURN LPS fuse in the LH IP junction block supplies ignition positive voltage to the flasher module. The turn signal lamps may only be activated with the ignition switch in the ON position. When the turn signal switch is placed in either the left or right position, current flow is from the flasher module's output to the turn signal switch assembly. The flasher module then sends an on-off voltage signal to either the left or right turn signals or their instrument panel cluster (IPC) indicator. When the hazard switch is pressed, all the turn signal lamps will flash including both IPC turn signal indicators.

It may be a bad flasher module which is part of the hazard switch according to the wire schematic. The Hazard Flasher and Turn Signal Flasher have been integrated with the Hazard Lamp Switch.

realworldautomotive.com

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.