Subaru Forester:

Whine in the front wheel

You are not logged in.

#1 2/15/2010 5:11 PM

shiningsita

Whine in the front wheel

Hello,
I have a 2003 Subaru Forester that has a whine in the front wheel. It came up about 6 weeks after a brake job. It can be heard after highway driving of about 20 minutes on dry conditions. The whine will completely stop for a minute or two when I brake. It also pauses if I turn the steering wheel. The brake job was checked. The mechanic found that the brackets for the pad had been left off and put them on. The whine continued. Does anyone have experience with this problem or any ideas for solution? Thanks for your help

Subaru Forester Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

Sponsored Links
ALLDATAdiy.com

The Leading Source of Professional Diagnostic and Repair Information.

#2 2/16/2010 1:43 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: Whine in the front wheel

Try rotating the tires to see if the noise changes. If it does, it's a bad tire. If it doesn't change, it sounds like one of the front wheel bearings is going bad.

The noise going away and coming back while changing lanes at highway speeds is an indication of a defective bearing. Changing lanes shifts vehicle weight on and off of the bad bearing, making the noise vary accordingly.

Last edited by TechHelp2 (2/16/2010 1:46 AM)

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else
Subaru Forester Recalls, TSBs and Service Information >> ALLDATA

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.