Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500:

2002, 3500 Dodge Ram, smokes a lot when cold and has no power

You are not logged in.

# 1  12/29/2009 8:52 PM

chingon1

2002, 3500 Dodge Ram, smokes a lot when cold and has no power

I have a 2002 model 3500 DODGE RAM TRUCK diesel with the 5.9 engine, six speed gear box.
The problem that I'm having is that when the engine is cold, the engine blows a lot of white smoke, and the RPM's won't go up. I replaced the turbo, the transfer fuel pump, the temperature sensor, but the engine continues to do the same thing. After the engine gets hot around 190 degrees the engine runs good and has the normal power and if the power drops down all I have to do is drop one gear, get the RPM's back to about 2300 and the engine runs good again.
Any and all the information will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by chingon1 (12/29/2009 8:53 PM)

# 2  12/30/2009 3:14 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

Re: 2002, 3500 Dodge Ram, smokes a lot when cold and has no power

The first thing to do is get a scan tool and check for trouble codes stored in the computer's memory. If all is clear, then white smoke and no power on a diesel can indicate air in the fuel supply anywhere from the fuel tank to the fuel filter.

The fuel pressure should be about 10 psi, and always check for a clogged fuel filter. Fuel contamination (water) should be checked, also.

Power coming back after dropping the transmission down a gear to raise RPM also sounds like air in the system. Check all the fuel lines from the tank to the transfer pump for any cracks. ALLDATA has the proper air bleeding procedure to get the air out of the fuel system.

Last edited by TechHelp2 (12/30/2009 4:02 AM)

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  12/30/2009 4:57 PM

chingon1

Hello Techhelp2,

First of all let Me thank you for your advice/help. The fuel filter is new, and the fuel was checked and has no water, also following your advice checked all of the lines from the tank to the transfer pump and from the pump to the filter and to the injection pump, also made sure the filter's O-ring was in place and everything checks OK with no suction or pressure leaks.

Like I said, it's only when the truck is cold that does all the drama, after the engine warms up the truck runs good.

Thank you again for the help.

P.S. I forgot to mention that the computer scan shows no codes. I'm looking for a different scanner.

Last edited by chingon1 (12/30/2009 5:00 PM)

# 4  12/31/2009 1:59 AM

TechHelp2
Administrator

After doing more a little more research with Alldata, I found something else to check out. If you have a fuel heater, and it malfunctions, it can cause a wax build-up in the fuel/water separator.

This can cause starting problems and prevent the engine from revving up. It can also cause blue or white fog-like exhaust.

Check to see if there is power at the fuel heater, and also the fuel heater relay in the power distribution center near the battery.

Also check fuse number 7 (40 amp) and fuse number 11 (10 amp) which power the fuel heater.

The fuel heater sensor is on the side of the fuel/water separator.

Voltage is supplied from the ignition switch through the fuel heater relay, to the fuel temperature sensor, and on to the fuel heater element. It is not controlled or monitored by the computer.

Last edited by TechHelp2 (12/31/2009 2:43 AM)

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 5  1/9/2010 12:25 AM

chingon1

Thanks again TechHelp2, I will check that as soon as I get a chance.

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.