Jaguar XK Series:

Jaguar 2003 XK8 - fuel vapors from trunk?

You are not logged in.

# 1  10/23/2009 12:28 PM

wijaor

Jaguar 2003 XK8 - fuel vapors from trunk?

I have fuel odors coming from the trunk and the rear seat. This only started after I had the fuel pump assembly replaced.  The mechanic says there is nothing wrong.  Obviously there is or I wouldn't be asking for help.  Are there vent lines that come from the fuel tank? Is it possible that the gasket is not properly positioned even though the mechanic says no.
Please, I need someone's knowledge about these things.  Is there a diagram available that could show me something. 
I brought this to another Jaguar dealer, and they claimed it was an oil leak off the engine.  Well, there is no way because oil and gas smell differently and it still smells the same, so I guess that money was thrown out.
Again. Please help!

# 2  10/23/2009 1:15 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Re: Jaguar 2003 XK8 - fuel vapors from trunk?

Burning oil and the smell of fuel are two different animals.

The whole idea behind the evaporative emissions system is to prevent hydrocarbons (gas fumes) from escaping into the atmosphere. Therefore, the fuel tank is a sealed unit and any "gas vapor venting" is directed to the engine's intake and burned up.

Even if the technician who installed the fuel pump made a major mess and spilled a lot of fuel, it should have evaporated by now.

If there was a leak of vapor from the tank (possibly the seal where the pump goes in) the system would detect the leak and turn on the check engine light.

That leads me to suspect a small leak of liquid fuel from a pressure/return line that was disturbed during replacement of the fuel pump.

The technician should go underneath (possibly lower the tank) and carefully inspect all the lines, hoses and connections.

realworldautomotive.com
car and truck information like nowhere else

# 3  12/22/2010 9:28 AM

Rose1Martine

Re: Jaguar 2003 XK8 - fuel vapors from trunk?

Thanks for above information. I also have the problem of oil smell from my XK. It will help me tell  the mechanic to correct it.

E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information
ALLDATAdiy.com is the leading source of factory diagnostic & repair information specific to your car.