Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Toyota » Tacoma » Extended Warranty on Excessive Frame Rust

ALLDATAdiy - Beyond The Printed Manuall. Diagnose, Repair, and Research all within the same source!
ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

Toyota Tacoma:
Extended Warranty on Excessive Frame Rust

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I was wondering if you knew anything about the recall of all 1995-2000 Toyota Tacoma pickups for frame rust. They are buying pickups back if the frames are unsafe. I haven't read anything in any of the magazines and it seems that if it were one of the American car companies it would be everywhere. I was just wondering why it was so hush.

Answer:

It's not a recall or a technical service bulletin; it's a voluntary extension of Toyota's new car warranty policy involving certain 1995-2000 Tacoma, about 813,000 of them. According to Toyota, there have been a number of complaints from Tacoma owners in reference to excessive rust corrosion and perforation of the vehicle's frames -- particularly in northern, high road salt regions.

Toyota states that trucks which fall within a specific vehicle identification number range did not receive adequate corrosion resistant protection during production. Therefore, the original frame rust through coverage of 3 years/36,000 miles has been extended to 15 years/unlimited mileage. If your truck fits the model range, and exhibits excessive frame rust, schedule an inspection at a local Toyota service department.

If the service department determines that excessive corrosion exists, as per Toyota's inspection guidelines, a secondary inspection by a Toyota representative may be required. Toyota will then determine, at their option, if the frame will be repaired or the vehicle bought back at 150% of the "excellent condition" Blue Book retail value (regardless of what shape it's in). Although, repair of significant frame damage is never a good practice and it's believed that most, if not all vehicles with excessive rust will be bought back.

Toyota is allowing removal of any aftermarket add-ons, and a vehicle loaner program will be in effect to help with the inspection and buy-back process. The extended warranty doesn't seem very hush, but it is recent, going into effect March 7, 2008 with notification letters in the mail shortly thereafter. If you believe your Tacoma may be involved but have not received notification, call Toyota customer assistance at 1-888-270-9371 or contact your local dealer.

www.realworldautomotive.com

Related Topics:  

Toyota | Paint, Rust | Warranty
or
Browse by:  
E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information

Need Help?

Get FREE Answers from our Technicians at the Toyota Tacoma Forum.

Comments:

Bonnie Welsh
29 Dec 2009, 09:46
I have a 2000 Tacoma 2wd. I was wondering what the latest is on the frame/rust recall. today's date:12/29/09. I do live in area with salt used in snowy weather and salt air in summer; I'm near the water.
Admin
29 Dec 2009, 10:50
Hi Bonnie:

The policy on the 1995-2000 Tacoma is not a recall but an extended warranty. Updates are the inclusion of the 2001-2004 model years. Unlike the earlier models there is no buy-back, instead they will inspect the frame and do needed repairs such as additional rust protection treatment, rear cross member replacement and possibly more extensive frame reconditioning.

Added to the mix is a recall on 2000-2003 full-size Tundra pickups suffering from similar frame rust conditions -- again, no buy-backs, only needed repairs.

Schedule a frame rust inspection at a local Toyota dealer, and see what they find.
tina martin
26 Apr 2011, 08:19
i have a 1995 tacoma. the extended
warranty ran out on my truck a few months ago and NOW I have 2 cracks and rust on my frame (it passed the test 9 months ago). Is there anything I can do to get the buy back now? thanks
Admin
27 Apr 2011, 06:12
Take it back to the Toyota service department and explain the situation to the service manager. He will most likely want to re-inspect the truck, and if it fails, request approval from the Toyota district representative.

Technically, they're not obligated, but it's possible they may fit-you-in on a goodwill basis.

It never hurts to ask.
tina
09 May 2011, 11:54
The Toyota dealer gave me a flat out
NO. Is there anywhere else I can go
to fight my point? My truck is not
undrivable. Thanks.
Admin
09 May 2011, 20:24
Call Toyota customer service and state your case. After that an attorney, but probably not worth the cost or aggravation.
cartman7
12 Jul 2011, 23:50
They gave me a flat out no also, but it was a factory defect from the beginning and a safety issue. I called and they have no goodwill. I asked the rep if she would let her child ride in a Tacoma and she wouldn't answer. A frame should last at least 25 years. I saw a '53 ford pickup that was in a field for years, never restored and looked horrible, but the frame had a small amount of service rust.

Now I have a worthless '95 Tacoma truck that I paid a lot of money for. Toyota couldn't care less.
MIKe
06 Jan 2012, 16:36
Hello and thanks for your time. i just purchased a 2000 Tacoma xcab 4x4 from a friend, truck has 52,633 original miles (belonged to uncle who has since passed) and will need new tires, brakes and tune-up - seems to be in good shape. Does this vehicle fall w/i the parameters for the frame recall and where are the locations for the rust? Thanks again
Admin
08 Jan 2012, 09:51
Only way to be sure if the truck's rust damage will be covered by Toyota is by bringing into the dealership for inspection.
Jamey Johnson
12 Mar 2012, 21:16
Today is 3/12/12. I bought a 1996 toyota tacoma on 3/08/12. I had it inspected today and the toyota dealership said the frame was rusted and unsafe. But they couldn't help in any way! Is this true?? Please help, i am out of $5,700 and a truck....
Admin
17 Mar 2012, 15:14
Hi Jamey,

I'm assuming the delivery date on the truck put it past 15 years old. And that was the end of the extended warranty covering the rust-through condition.

Toyota upped the coverage from the original 3 years, 36k miles, to 15 years, unlimited mileage.

If you're shortly over the 15 year mark, you can contact Toyota customer support and push for "goodwill" coverage. This may, or may not help.

I would be going straight to seller and get my money back...
paul
20 Mar 2012, 19:25
I live in Canada and i bought a 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4,i was wondering if the original owner bought the truck in USA would the rusty frame warrany still be covered by Toyota Canada...and if not what do i have to do.
Admin
25 Mar 2012, 14:05
Not sure if there's a difference in the body rust warranty between US and Canadian sold Tacoma. Check the trucks original warranty booklet, or contact customer support @ 800-331-4331.

The extended rust warranty only involves 1995 - 2000 models.
Lindsay
07 Apr 2012, 19:12
Do you have any offical info on the 15 year extended warranty on the Tacoma in Canada? Or is the US and Canada's the same? I have rust on my frame and need to get it inspected by a dealer, but I've heard they are giving people a hard time on the extented warranty if they have already had thier truck checked a few years ago and passed. Please Help!
Admin
15 Apr 2012, 13:55
Again, call Toyota customer support to see what is covered on your specific truck. 800-331-4331.
erick diaz
25 Apr 2012, 18:41
i have a 2000 toyota tacoma with a crack inside the frame i took it to toyota and they said the warranty expired on the frame how can that be possible if the warranty is extended 15 years from manufacture date whcih is 4/24/2000. is it posible toyota made an error and my truck is still qualify for the buy back program
Admin
26 Apr 2012, 18:36
Good question. You said it's a crack, but nothing about rust, which is what's covered under the extended warranty.

Was that the issue? If it is rusted through, I would strongly suggest contacting Toyota customer support and get the whole story.
Armando
03 Nov 2012, 19:39
I have a96 tacoma .does so,eomeone know any show who could repair i meanreinforce the frame at a reasonable process!i Live in nj
JEAN
12 Nov 2012, 05:17
I have a tacoma 2003 and the frame its realy bad.the front side of the frame is braking by the rust. Anybody know if where is some extended warranty.
Admin
12 Nov 2012, 18:32
The extended rust through warranty pertains to 1995-2000 Tacoma, not 2003. But it can't hurt to contact Toyota.
Herbert McPherson
28 Oct 2013, 17:49
Toyota replaced the frame on 2001 Tacoma a few years ago and now my gas tank is rusted out is there anything they will do to help me?
Admin
03 Nov 2013, 09:55
Contact the dealership that repaired the rusted frame to be sure, but the fuel tank was not part of the original extended warranty. so don't get your hopes up.
Baconbits
12 Dec 2013, 16:16
Just a quick note on the frame changeout on my 2001 Tacoma..Toyota covered most of the work , the changeout came with new lower control arms, rear springs and brake lines .. Plus a few other parts that were trashed while taking it apart.. Toyota's end of the bill was 12,750$ plus the two week truck rental.. I had them perform about another 6,000 in parts and labour.. Waterpump,timing belt, exhaust all bushing, ujoints all new front suspension ..and now it is in the body shop for a complete makeover and paint.. So why spend 25,000$ on a 12 year old truck, I live in Northern Canada, and use it to plow, and enjoy the outdoors and you would be hard to find what is basically a new vehicle for 12,000 dollars..Thanks Toyota
Will
24 Jan 2014, 13:02
I just found 3 pin holes in my 2002 Tacoma frame which is really rusty I have a frame inspection tomorrow, what exactly do they do during the inspection? I called Toyota customer service and asked what would be done about a pin hole and she said it is up to the dealer to fix or leave it that way until it gets worst. I had the toyota undercoating done which I think they did to buy time, I just hate to end up with junk after the 15 years are up if they keep saying it is ok then year 15 I have a truck with a big hole in the frame.
Admin
14 Mar 2014, 14:18
Have not seen the latest procedure on frame corrosion inspection. The only recall involves the spare tire carrier.

Please let us know what they say at the dealership.
joe carmack
18 May 2014, 21:51
I have a 96 toyota 4x4 and from the cab back is broken and rotted
Sitka
19 May 2014, 17:59
I was told by my local dealer that since my '96 was out of the 15 year span that it was a non-starter for even an inspection. Would be curious if anyone fared better.
Tim
29 Jul 2014, 11:23
I have a hole approx 2mm in size where they hit the frame with a hammer during the last inspection. Only one month until my 15 yrs is up. Any size requirement for the perforation?

*Name:
*Email:
Notify me about new comments on this page
Hide my email
Subscribe to our weekly automotive newsletter
*Comment:

*Type characters in box below (click image to refresh)
CODE

Popular Links
Q&A by Make and Model
Q&A by Repair Category
Live Chat with a Pro!
Submit Questions
Find TSBs and Recalls
How Hybrids Work
Local Gas Price Map
Resources
ALLDATA diy Information
Mitchell 1 eAutoRepair
Warranty Direct
Parts Warehouse
New Car Price Quotes
ASE Certified Master Technician

Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Toyota » Tacoma » Extended Warranty on Excessive Frame Rust
Save or Share Automotive Information
Custom Search