Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Dodge » Ram » Vibration between 45 and 55 MPH

ALLDATAdiy - Beyond The Printed Manuall. Diagnose, Repair, and Research all within the same source!
ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

Dodge Ram:
Vibration between 45 and 55 MPH

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I'm aware that you must receive thousands of individual truck problem questions, but I really need your help on this one. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 WS with a 3.9-liter V6. It has an annoying vibration between 45 and 55 MPH. Symptoms are a lot like bad U-joints, but the U-joints are fine and the truck only has 4000 miles on it. I've had the drive shaft rebalanced and that helped a little, but the vibration is still there.

I'm having difficulty with the dealer, and even the district representative stated that "yours is better than most". I'm hoping that you can shed some light on this problem. It just shouldn't be doing this.

Answer:

If this is a significant vibration, and both you and the dealer are certain the problem is originating from the driveline, it's time to check the drive shaft angles.

But first, here's some stuff that you might want to try yourself. Unbolt the drive shaft from the rear axle, rotate it 180 degrees and then reinstall it on the rear axle flange. Sometimes this is a quick fix that will synchronize the shaft and axle balance.

While you're there, check the drive shaft "phasing". In other words, when one yoke is straight up and down, the one on the other end should be pointing in exactly the same direction. If not, this would indicate a "torque twist" of the drive shaft tube which will require replacement of the driveshaft.

Also, a drive shaft may balance correctly, but still cause problems due to excessive "run out". This also would require replacement.

Next, venture back to your dealer's service department and politely suggest the inspection of the vehicle ride height, and drive shaft vertical and horizontal angles. They should have the tools and specifications to do this procedure correctly. Any needed adjustments are obtained by the replacement of leaf springs, or the repositioning of the rear axle with the use of selected shims. Excessive improper angles (with correct ride height) which cannot be corrected through adjustment would strongly indicate frame, suspension or crossmember damage.

www.realworldautomotive.com

Related Topics:  

Dodge | Driveline | Shimmies/Vibration
or
Browse by:  
E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information

Need Help?

Get FREE Answers from our Technicians at the Dodge Ram Forum.

Comments:

Bruno Araujo
07 Jun 2010, 12:49
Dodge Ram 1500 V6 4x2 Auto - When the vehicle gets to 60mph + it starts to shake. I wondered if that a problem with the alignment or if the drive shaft needs to be re-balanced?

Thank you,

Bruno (214) 564-4177
bruson2001@yahoo.com
Admin
07 Jun 2010, 21:16
Typically an alignment problem won't cause a shake, but a worn out suspension part can cause an earthquake.

If the steering wheel shimmies you know the problem is in the front. If that's the case, rotate the tires to prove or eliminate them as a cause.

If the shake occurs only while accelerating, that usually points to a driveline issue -- could be a bad u-joint, wrong ride-height, or an out-of-balance shaft.

It's a process of elimination -- get to work.
William
25 Jul 2010, 19:52
Same problem as Bruno. I have a 1994 Dodge Ram 5.2 v8 long bed, standard cab, 5 speed, 2wd. The rear shakes a little at 55 to 60 and is not noticeable at 65mph. I tried new tires, new rims, inspected the frame and I still can't figure out what the hell it is.
Admin
27 Jul 2010, 20:18
Inspect a little more.

A good start is to put the transmission in neutral while you're experiencing the problem. If the vibration stops it's in the driveline. If it doesn't it's at the wheels.

Wheels meaning it could be a bent axle causing the wheels to turn untrue. You also have to be sure there is nothing loose in the rear suspension and the shocks are in good condition.

You can jack the rear end off the ground and spin the wheels to make sure the tires and wheels are turning straight (no excessive run-out).
jon leone
22 Mar 2011, 20:47
I have '06 1500 quad cab that vibrates at various speeds above 45. I balanced the old tires and did an alignment to no a avail. I replaced the tires, did not help. Been to the dealer three times, but they can't find any issues. Then they blamed the tires, which were e rated. Told me that caused the problem. This makes no sense as I have had e rated tire on my other trucks with no problems. The problem feels like u-joints but they were fine. I'm at wits end. Any ideas
Admin
28 Mar 2011, 19:41
Best way to prove or disprove the tires are at fault is to swap with known-good wheels from a symptom free truck.
tbone shear
19 Feb 2012, 03:15
Hello I have a 2000 RAM 2500 5.9L v8. Whenever I go above 45 mph it shakes violantly until you Damn near stop. Wheel bearings, ball joins, u-joints are all in check out OK, but it seems to stick in 4 wheel. Wondering if you have any ideas of what it might be? It does have a 4" suspension lift.
Admin
19 Feb 2012, 13:56
Sticks in 4WD? Might be a good idea to fix that problem first.

If the problem is only present in 4WD, I would carefully inspect the front drive axle, engine/transmission mounts, etc.

And yes, a suspension lift improperly installed can affect the driveline angles and cause a vibration. Did the problem begin immediately after the lift install? Or you don't know?
Mark
12 Aug 2012, 07:50
I have a 2009 Ram 1500 4x4, has steering wheel and gas pedal vibration starting at 35mph is worse at 40 gets less at 60. I put the trans in neutral, vibration still there, not the drive train. Turn to the right and the noise and vibration go away, back to center starts again. Has something to do with something spinning with speed and steering linkage. Tie rod ends replaced under recall. No abnormal tire wear 45k miles. any ideas?
Admin
12 Aug 2012, 15:48
Sounds like either a tire or wheel bearing. Start by rotating the tires to see if there is a change.

Still the same? Make sure there is no play in the bearings by rocking the wheels.

After that, the best way is getting all 4 wheels off the grounds and listen to each bearing with a a stethoscope while spinning the wheels. If it's much louder on one side -- that's the culprit.
Terry Kramer
18 Sep 2012, 17:36
I can not keep a clutch in my 1995 Dodge
Ram L6-359 3500 Diesel 4x4 DSL TURBO

Vin# 1B6MF36C4SS269911
Admin
15 Oct 2012, 10:13
Keep a clutch?

If you mean it wears out quickly, that requires removal and a full inspection of all parts to diagnose the problem.

But in the mean time be sure you have about an inch of freeplay at the pedal. The master, slave or hose can be hanging up and you're riding the clutch with your foot off the pedal.
Mike koszyk
05 Apr 2013, 14:32
Dodge has a tech bulletin vibe problem may be due to steering knuckle & linkage. This is a new TB
tris
07 Apr 2013, 12:07
my friend as a 2007 dodge ram 5.7l qud cab 2 weel drive vabration from 50 to 60 km let the foot off gas it gos away and it dosent happin in overdrive u joins are good new tires and undertran cheaked and it all looks fine what my the problem be i think it the trmission mount
Admin
14 Apr 2013, 12:40
Vibration only on acceleration is typically a problem in the driveline. However, I have seen tires do a good impersonation.

On a 2WD truck, if you feel the vibration distinctly in the steering wheel, the problem is in the front end.

If you feel it from the seat-of-your pants, take a careful look at the drive shaft and rear suspension.

There was a pre-delivery recall for defects in the driveshaft, and anything messed up in the rear suspension can throw off the driveline angle and cause a vibration.

You didn't lower or raise the suspension, did you?

Coder
04 Jun 2013, 01:02
I have a 93 jeep yj I get it up to 35-45 mph it shakes horribly, but if I push the clutch it all stops any ideas???
Admin
23 Jun 2013, 13:43
First think to check is both front and rear drive shafts. Possible worn out U-joints. Vibration stopping when disengaging the clutch typically confirms a problem in the driveline -- not the wheels or tires.
Jayson
08 Jul 2013, 01:26
2004 2500 4x4 5.7l. 150k. About 2 weeks ago front end vibration started. vibration through steering wheel and dash (shakes drinks in cup holders) vibration stops near instantly when trans put in neutral or letting off the the throttle. vibration starts at about 25mph gets a bit worse up to about 45 and tapers off to near normal at 60-65. no lift on truck.
Admin
19 Jul 2013, 19:05
Feeling it in the steering wheel tells us the problem is up front. The vibration going away in neutral tells us it's in the driveline.

Carefully inspect the front axle, front suspension, and especially the front driveshaft! Could be a worn U-joint.
carl purdy
21 Sep 2013, 18:04
Hello,
Okay, I have a used Ram 3500 maxi van(old church bus) that vibrates under light acceleration @40mph,up to 70mph, and is light and continuous at 80+...
360V8,9.25 Chrysler corporate LSD with 3:92 gears, @90,000 miles now...had drive shaft pulled and inspected and echanic said it was ok,has weak shocks all the way around, mech. said probably second set.
If I throw it in neutral, the vibe stops...if I let off gas vibe stops, if I step on gas hard, it usually stops and powers through...I had the rear gear oil changed and anti friction additive repalced and the mech inspected the gears and felt they were fine as there was no odd scratches, chips or metal filings in the housing.
I love this old beast and intend to install a bed anc rooftop a/c so the wife and I can go camping with it, but all is on hold until I get this vibe issue worked out...oh and when I bought it last year, there was a trouble code for the fuel sensor...as the fuel gaugedoes not work well...usually reads empty sometimes even after a full fill up.
I know y'all are busy, but I'd really appreciate some help here.
Thank you much,
Carl
Admin
16 Oct 2013, 12:23
Must be sure tires are good, and all suspension parts are tight. Shocks could be an issue if they are completely gone.

But the vibration stopping in neutral or foot-off-the-gas are classic symptoms of a driveline problem.

Double check the driveshaft(s) and u-joints. Also the center support bearing if equipped. Be sure engine and transmission mounts are not broken, and no suspension modifications which would change the driveline angle are attached.
carl purdy
17 Oct 2013, 20:00
Hey there'
Thanks for the reply. I will be changing the rear shocks next week, and working on tire replacement. After that, front shocks will be replaced...all thiss stuff is a must. After all that, I will have the mechanic check all the suspension parts, and then have the drive shaft ballance checked, and u-joints replaced as part of maint. since it is nearing 100,000 mile mark.

There is one thing i neglected to mention though...the door info decal calls for 245-16-75 tires on the thing, but it has 265-16-75's...that will change as soon as I can.
Thanx again,
Carl
Admin
24 Oct 2013, 20:39
Keep me updated. Again, sure sounds like driveline.
Rusty
31 Oct 2013, 16:32
I have a 99 dodge Dakota 4x4
When im at 55mph I feel a slight vibration. When I accelerate I feel it the worst. Any suggestions?
Also, when I am at a stop and I turn the steering wheel all the way hard left and slowly move forward, I hear a grind noise in the drivers side front end. Almost like the tire is rubbing on wheel well, but is not. And every time the tire rotates it feels as if it wants to stop the truck at a very slow speed. Shoud I use a grenade or a missile launcher?
rusty
31 Oct 2013, 16:34
I have just replaced passenger side front axle, pads and passenger side tie rod end.
Admin
03 Nov 2013, 09:59
Read above. Gotta check everything. Rotate the tires to eliminate that. Could still be the LF axle, or coming from the rear driveline.
KJ
03 Nov 2013, 20:06
02 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 2wd 4.7l V8 - when I hit 50mph on the dot the truck starts shaking throughout from bumper to bumper, not terrible but not delightful to feel or listen to. have had tires rotated and changed to no avail over several years. truck does need a new CPU, could that be the issue? also when driving 15mph+ the front end sqeaks terribley and even more when breaking, could it be the rotors or the wheel barrings or front axle? and lastly, the AC works but doesn't blow cold air during the summer, during spring and fall its fine but during summer it blows heat.?
Rusty
04 Nov 2013, 07:58
The grinding in the front end was coming from my outer tie rod end rubbing on the inside of my rim.
Still yet to change out U-joints.

Only between 55 & 60ish mph is when I feel the vibration. Only when accelerating... I also have a spare tire on my back drivers side that is bigger then the rest.
Admin
09 Nov 2013, 09:25
Either wrong wheels, wrong or switched (left to right) tie rod ends typically produce tie rod to wheel contact.
Bill shaw
12 Nov 2013, 08:41
I have a 06 ram 2500 short bed quad cab 4x4 with 5.9L Cummins has a 5"lift 35" tires new upper and lower ball joints new front and back u joints new upgraded steering linkage steering box is new.also new adjustable trac bar. Also has a steering gear box stabilizer. Tires are new. The problem that I'm having is when I get to freeway speed i hear this shuddering noise like plastic is rubbing against something I've taking all the plastic off and still getting the noise sometimes it does it more when going through dips. Its driving me insane. Any suggestions

Admin
12 Nov 2013, 19:50
What plastic have you removed? Does it seem like the noise increases with vehicle (wind) speed?

Try taping off sections around the windshield moldings, and any other place you can think of. Loose moldings can lift up and flutter at high speeds.
Buck shot
13 Nov 2013, 12:06
99 dodge Dakota 4x4 is got a bad vibration when accelerating. Coming to a stop then accelerating it vibrates underneath and sometime feel it shaking the steering wheel. Then stops when I let off the gas pedal.
Admin
17 Nov 2013, 09:17
Gotta start by getting under the truck and doing a detailed inspection of the suspension and driveline -- the front driveshaft/U-joints especially.
buck shot
17 Nov 2013, 21:48
It was in fact my U-joints... The vibration is gone. Much appreciated for all the tips. Thanks again and god bless
jeremy i hills
19 Nov 2013, 05:33
I recently put new tie rods, tie rod ends, and upper and lower ball joints in my 1998 Dodge Dakota 4x4 and now the wheels rub on the outer tie rod ends when the steering wheel is turned hard over. how can I fix this? thanks.
Admin
01 Dec 2013, 09:33
Either the wrong outer tie rod ends, or you have the left and right ends on the wrong sides (reversed).
Julian
19 Jan 2014, 08:32
04 Dobge Ram 1500 Qwad at 55 as lond as I keep my foot on the gas I dont fill the vibration but as soon as I take my foot off I fill it in my seat, Also I hear a bump , bump from the back driver side tire at about 5 to 10 mpr, one last thing my back driverside shock had broken from the bottom weld and is just hanging, Can this throw the U-Joint off and cause the problem.
Admin
14 Feb 2014, 07:53
Julian,

You have to fix the broken shock, and figure out the low speed "bump,bump" noise, before doing anything.

Maybe get it to a local shop, and let them look it over.
robert
15 Feb 2014, 18:27
I have 2001 1500 2 wheel drive, the vibration is in the engine, I pulled off clutch fan and blade, still have a vibration at 1000 to 1800 rpm, not sure what it is, vibration damper?
jordan
19 Feb 2014, 09:49
03 dakota 3.9 4x4. Mild vibration at 50 mph that gets terrible(under seat) above 63mph. At 63 and let off throttle vibration gets worse. Makes no difference if put into neutral.
Brian
28 Feb 2014, 19:16
I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9L diesel. My steering wheel shakes at 55-70 mph-(worse at 60-65). When I am at a coasting speed the shaking starts. If I let OFF the gas it QUITS. I dive real hard to the left at 60 mph, the shaking quits and if I dive to the right, the shaking starts again. If I let off the gas it quits ---- all this only above 50mph. The dealer replaced the front steering linkage, transfer case, torque converter, and went thru the front axle looking for bad bearings and u joints, also checked pinion bearing, all at my expense---still not fixed. Now they are looking into the motor and expect me to also pay for any parts they think I need! DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT --TRUCK IS STILL IN THE SHOP going on 3 weeks.
Admin
14 Mar 2014, 14:36
RE: robert
15 Feb 2014, 18:27

First thing I'd look for is a hard or broken engine mount. Does the vibration change from reverse to drive?

Look for a wobble, or rubber malformed between the inner hub and outer pulley of the damper.

Can also try rotating the torque converter one bolt hole at a time to see if that makes the vibration better or worse.

Again, engine mounts first.
Admin
14 Mar 2014, 14:40
RE: jordan
19 Feb 2014, 09:49

Hey Man. Gotta start with a careful visual inspection of the front and rear driveshafts and axles, along with all four tires and wheels.

Nuff said.
Admin
14 Mar 2014, 15:05
RE: Brian
28 Feb 2014, 19:16

I think you need to take it somewhere else.

Hopefully wheels and tires have been absolutely eliminated as a cause.

Other than that, they're missing something at the front suspension and/or axle/driveshaft.

Double check the front driveshaft's u-joints, "phase", angle, and balance.

Chuck Stillson
14 Mar 2014, 20:14
my 1999 dodge ram 1500 badly vibrates at 40 mph and faster. it is starting to vibrate just starting to accelorate. what could be the problem?
J. Campbell
25 Mar 2014, 15:26
Hi. I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x2 Q.C.sport with the 5.7 hemi and auto trans and 3.92 axle which I recently purchased with 115k miles. I have installed new brakes (original rotors turned) all around, 4 new shocks,water pump, radiator, idler and tensioner pulleys, and front and rear u joints all within the last few weeks. The issue I have is that at WOT a fairly loud "roaring" vibration becomes noticeable briefly at around 4000rpm, then fades and comes back in at 5000rpm and stays until the trans shifts into the next gear at 57-5800rpm.Also, the "frequency" of this vibration increases as the rpm's increase. As soon as the trans shifts and rpm's drop the sound stops until rpm's reach 5000 again.Happens in any gear at various speeds, but tends to be louder in 1st to 2nd gear runs.?.? Truck runs and drives fine otherwise. Maybe the torque convertor? Fan clutch? Balancer? It had a really loose front u joint (until it was replaced) with which it was driven for a while by the previous owner, i think. Maybe the tailshaft bearing/bushing bad? What do you think? thanks!
Sam
23 May 2014, 10:10
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 - shakes violently 45-60 while accelerating. The key seems to be turning off the OD. It stops immediately. Turn OD back on, shaking starts again. Is the OD and indicator that will help narrow down the search? Thanks!
Mike G
25 May 2014, 12:48
'01 Ram 4x4 3500, diesel, DRW. A vibration and noise from front area that starts around 55-60 mph, but seems to fade at 70 mph. If put in neutral to coast, the noise/vibration is still present, but not as pronounced. Eliminated any engine possibilities as noise/vibration does not present itself throughout the same rpm range going up the 5 spd manual until at highway speeds.
What is odd is that it is not a constant steady noise, but more oscillating. And I recently found if while at highway speed I can get the noise to stop for a second or two if abruptly moving from one lane to the other, as if slaloming. Just had new tires installed, and alignment checked. The ball joints had .030" of travel, which Moog tech support said was at most outer accepted tolerance, but still usable. I am leaning towards the unit bearings going bad, which were bought from the dealership only 40k miles ago. Or could the slight angle from the .030" offset cause the axle shafts to ride untrue internally? The previous ball joints had more than twice that amount and never heard any kind of noises. I just wanted to ask as these bearings are not cheap if not needing to be replaced. Thank you for your help.
Rick R
25 Jun 2014, 09:14
'03 Ram 1500 4X4 4.7L Quad Cab
190K miles
Vibration starts only at speeds above 65mph and continues / worsens at higher speeds, vibration seems to be coming from the rear as I can't feel it in the steering wheel. It also continues after putting the truck into neutral until speed drops below 65, I have had the rear driveshaft balanced, Installed new "U" joints, new rims and tires installed, drive shaft balanced again and another set of "better" tires installed. This is a great truck and I don't drive it frequently on the expressway, however when I do need to drive it above 65mph it is VERY annoying not to mention I am afraid the vibration may be causing other problems such as excessive wear & tear on new tires. Could the problem be a slightly bent rear axle, worn bearing(s), rear differential.. ?? How do I proceed from here? Thanks for any help /guidance on this
techhelp2
13 Jul 2014, 10:13
RE:Chuck Stillson
14 Mar 2014, 20:14

Hi Chuck if you feel the vibration on acceleration it is most likely a drive line problem. Have a mechanic check the drive shafts for bad universal joints or drive shaft balance. If joints are good try turning the drive shaft 180 degrees, sometimes this helps Cordiant the shaft and axel balance.
Techhelp2
13 Jul 2014, 10:20
RE:J. Campbell
25 Mar 2014, 15:26

I would check the clutch fan first to see if it is locked up. This can cause a roaring noise at high engine RPM's. The torque converter won't make a noise. Try rotating the drive shaft 189 degrees, sometimes this coordinates the balance between the drive shaft and the rear axel.
Techhelp2
13 Jul 2014, 10:35
Sam
23 May 2014

It's could be one or a combination of three things, the speed sensor, the Torque Converter, or the OD. Have a mechanic use a scanner to observe the function of these three items. If the truck has a lot of miles on it you can also check the function of the TPS sensor, it has a lot to do with shifting.
Techhelp2
13 Jul 2014, 10:43
Mike G
25 May 2014

Try rotating the tires from front to rear to see if the condition changes. If it is still the same then put the truck in the air and check the bearings with a stethoscope to see which side the noise is coming from. It is possible it could be the bearing again.
Techhelp2
13 Jul 2014, 10:53
RE:Rick R
25 Jun 2014

Putting the truck in neutral almost eliminates the drive line but to be sure the drive shaft angles would be the next thing to check and also the run out of the drive shaft and the axels. Jacking up the rear wheels and have someone watch the wheels turning can help find a wheel wobble or bent axel. Try turning the drive shaft 180 degrees to see if it changes anything, sometimes this coordinate's the balance of the drive shaft and the rear axel.
john
26 Jul 2014, 08:32
I have a 2010 ram 1500 4x4 quad cab, a slight hum and vibration in steering wheel beginning at 35 mph, new tires and alignment did not help, seems to be drivers side, raised the truck and checked for play in bearing and found none. When driving any curves in the road to the right the sound and vibration go away. Any thoughts?
Jay
29 Jul 2014, 15:30
I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 4x2. I anm experiencign a shaking in my truck but only whern i reach a crusing speed any where between 45-60. I have had the tires balanced, a front end alignment, i replaced lower ball joints on both sides, replaced the control arm on both sides, replaced the hubs and rotors on both sides, also i replaced the U-joints on the drive shaft. I am at wits end with this problem. Please hel[p
Chuck
04 Aug 2014, 21:36
Subscribe me to the newsletter
john boyce
07 Aug 2014, 14:01
i have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 with automatic and hemi engine. it has only 36000 miles on it. a few months ago, i would get a vibration on first acceleration up to around 30-35 mph. then it goes away. the truck is great in all areas. the vibration seems to be in my seat. first thought new tires would do it. nope.
thanks
john b.
Andrew
21 Aug 2014, 21:16
I have a 1998 ram 1500, 4X4, single cab short bed. It has a 3 inch lift with 33 inch tires. I was diving on the freeway one day and at about 70 MPH mph and my truck started to vibrate/shake back and forth, not left and right. Im not sure if anyone has ever had this problem before but it was very strange. I've never felt a car/truck rock back and forth like mine did.
Mari Moreno
25 Aug 2014, 18:13
I need help. I have a 2003 single cab dodge v6 & it shakes while in park. The shaking gets stronger when the ac is on. The spark plugs have been changed so has the oil. What could it be?

*Name:
*Email:
Notify me about new comments on this page
Hide my email
Subscribe to our weekly automotive newsletter
*Comment:

*Type characters in box below (click image to refresh)
CODE

Popular Links
Q&A by Make and Model
Q&A by Repair Category
Live Chat with a Pro!
Submit Questions
Find TSBs and Recalls
How Hybrids Work
Local Gas Price Map
Resources
ALLDATA diy Information
Mitchell 1 eAutoRepair