Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Dodge » Ram » 2009 - Suspension Add-ons to Haul Camper

ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

2009 Dodge Ram 1500:
Suspension Add-ons to Haul Camper

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I have a new 2009 Ram 1500 standard cab long bed. I purchased this truck with my '91 GMC 2500 clunker. I could not get a 2500 truck of any make using the cash for clunkers program. I need to know what suspension items I need to add to my Ram to enable it to haul my 8ft camper that weighs 2000 lbs.

Answer:

The new Ram platform was a big step up for Dodge.

You're in good shape as far as towing the camper. The lowest standard towing capacity for the regular cab Ram 1500 ST long bed is about 3650 pounds. That means you can safely tow up to that weight the way it sits -- factory suspension and trailer hitch. Look up the specifications in your owner's manual. Your capacities may be higher depending on the engine, transmission and rear axle ratio.

If you wanted to go all out with a fifth-wheel add-on, that would bring the lowest numbers up to almost a 9000 lbs maximum towing capacity.

Just be sure not to surpass the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). That's the grand total weight of the truck (including fluids, passengers and cargo), plus the trailer and everything on board. Again, look all this stuff up in your owner's manual and apply your truck specifics.

You caught the "clunker" deal just in time.

www.realworldautomotive.com