Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Ford » F-Series » 2005 - 4x4 IWE Solenoid and Hubs Bad

ALLDATAdiy - Beyond The Printed Manuall. Diagnose, Repair, and Research all within the same source!
ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

2005 Ford F-150:
4x4 IWE Solenoid and Hubs Bad

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

as seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I own a 2005 Ford F-150 SuperCab 5.4 Liter, four-wheel-drive with 42,000 miles on it. The four-wheel-drive went out and I came to find that the IWE solenoid and hubs were bad. The IWE solenoid went bad causing the hubs to not stay fully disengaged destroying them as well.

It was fixed at the local Ford dealership, and what strikes me as odd is that the new IWE solenoid has a rain guard over it. Seems to me that when they have a problem like this it should be considered for a recall, and the consumer should not have to pay for a faulty design. I contacted Ford and they said it was not a malfunction.

Answer:

As a matter of fact, Ford Technical Service Bulletin number 06-8-15 deals with a similar condition -- water intrusion of the IWE (Integrated Wheel Ends) solenoid. The symptoms described in the service bulletin differ a little from yours, but it sure sounds relevant.

The described problem involves water intrusion through the IWE solenoid contaminating the rest of the vacuum actuated system, and causing noise while in two-wheel drive. There's also potential for the solenoid to short circuit, set trouble codes C1979 and C1980, and disable the 4WDH light.

The IWE solenoid normally applies vacuum to the Integrated Wheel Ends (locking hubs), and disengages the hubs while in two-wheel. In four-wheel, the powertrain control module commands the solenoid on, cutting off the vacuum supply and therefore engaging the spring loaded hubs.

It seems as though the water contamination can obstruct the flow of vacuum and lock (or partially lock) the hubs while in two-wheel drive, which may damage the splines on the hubs and/or CV joints.

The fix is to clear the vacuum lines of water, and replace the IWE solenoid with a modified unit which includes a bracket to shield the solenoid from future water intrusion.

This is a technical service bulletin, not a recall. It even stipulates that the condition is only "eligible under provisions of new vehicle limited warranty coverage". You're best case is show the TSB to the Ford dealer service manager and politely ask for restitution, seeing it is a known problem requiring a modified part to correct. He may be able to send it through under warranty with an OK from the Ford zone representative, or provide some kind of good faith discount. Being a previous cash-paying service customer wouldn't hurt.

www.realworldautomotive.com
or
Browse by:  
E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information

Need Help?

Get FREE Answers from our Technicians at the Ford F-150 Forum.

Comments:

Dave Johnson
25 Mar 2010, 08:50
I too have the same problem on my 2005 f150. It seems to me that Ford should own up to this fix and have a recall on this problem.

Who should a consumer complain to?

Best Regards,
Dave Johnson
Admin
25 Mar 2010, 08:57
Hi Dave:

Not always, but most of the time, there won't be a recall unless the defect is safety or emissions related.

In this case you'll probably just get the technical service bulletin.

You can submit a complaint with the NHTSA if you feel it's a safety problem.
Andy Newman
21 Aug 2010, 18:25
I am have the same problem with the noise. My 4-wheel drive still works I just hope I caught this soon enough. If you think that my hubs are bad let me know. I have only had the truck for about 3weeks. The truck is an 05 f-150 supercab 4x4 w/ 68000 miles. Thanks for the Info
Admin
22 Aug 2010, 21:39
The hubs may be making the noise, but not the cause of the problem. You may still be able to replace the IWE solenoid and save the hubs.

Have it checked out by a technician soon. It may save you money in the long run.

*Name:
*Email:
Notify me about new comments on this page
Hide my email
Subscribe to our weekly automotive newsletter
*Comment:

*Type characters in box below (click image to refresh)
CODE

Popular Links
Q&A by Make and Model
Q&A by Repair Category
Live Chat with a Pro!
Submit Questions
Find TSBs and Recalls
How Hybrids Work
Local Gas Price Map
Resources
ALLDATA diy Information
Mitchell 1 eAutoRepair
Warranty Direct
Parts Warehouse
New Car Price Quotes
ASE Certified Master Technician

Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Ford » F-Series » 2005 - 4x4 IWE Solenoid and Hubs Bad
Save or Share Automotive Information
Custom Search