Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Dodge » Ram » 2005 - 5.7-liter Hemi Ticking Noise (Lifters)

ALLDATAdiy - Beyond The Printed Manuall. Diagnose, Repair, and Research all within the same source!
ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

2005 Dodge Ram 1500:
5.7-liter Hemi Ticking Noise (Lifters)

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 Quad cab with the 5.7L Hemi. It's pretty well known that some people experience a 'tick' with their Hemi. I'm one of those people. I've spoken to multitudes of Dodge/Chrysler techs who all say that's normal and that a warranty repair is not needed, yet I've read on numerous online message boards that some people have actually gotten their local Dodge dealer to admit there is a problem and get their Hemi serviced under warranty, but from what I've read it's complicated and expensive (for the dealer) which is why they don't want to admit it.

Can you shed any light on this? I can't seem to get a straight answer from a dealer, at least not from anyone in my area.

Answer:

Nothing in writing (TSBs) from Dodge on the subject, but the "Hemi tick" seems to be a common grumble from Hemi owners.

I touched base regarding the engine noise with a longtime friend and Dodge technician on the east coast. According to my guy, and Dodge technical support, it's a hydraulic valve lifter noise which is being considered a normal characteristic of the new-generation hemispherical combustion chamber (Hemi) engine.

The ticking sound is typically heard from a warm engine, idling, while standing to one side of the truck -- more commonly noticed bouncing off the wall at a drive-thru. The technical cause is thought to be the somewhat horizontal positioning of the hydraulic roller tappets (valve lifters) in the engine block. The lifter location projects normal lifter noise out the sides of the engine.

Certain engines do tick slightly more than others. The only attempted fix I could imagine would be replacing the lifters, which may not accomplish anything, and I don't see tearing down the engine being worth the risk. I haven't heard of any claims regarding long-term durability issues involving the noise, so at this point in time, try to ignore it. If the noise is something other than described, have it checked out. In the meantime we'll keep you updated on any relevant news coming out.

www.realworldautomotive.com

Related Topics:  

Dodge | Engine Noise | Engine Parts
or
Browse by:  
E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information

Need Help?

Get FREE Answers from our Technicians at the Dodge Ram 1500 Forum.

Comments:

Rob V
26 Dec 2009, 12:55
I have an '04 Dodge 1500 w/the 5.7 Hemi and have also been to the local Dodge dealer with the same complaint. They told me that it was a "Dodge" thing as well. I switched to synthetic and added Lucas oil stabilizer along with a liter of Rizlone which was suppose to take the ticking away. No such luck!
Admin
26 Dec 2009, 13:06
Don't go too crazy with the additives.

It's a structural characteristic of the block.
W L
08 Apr 2010, 06:30
I have an 08 3/4 Ton with the same issue. I just got it back from the Dealership. They replaced lifters under warranty, but I still have the tick, even worse than before, they said they would leave the work ticket open for 5 days and freeze the mileage. They are trying to work with me to repair this issue. Stay tuned for more.
Admin
08 Apr 2010, 19:06
Thanks for the information. Keep us updated.
shular
13 Jun 2010, 16:00
I have a 05 ram 1500 that i got from a dealers lot. They gave me all the service records on it. The prior owner had it serviced regularly. It too has that embarrassing ticking sound that people look at you like what a piece of s$#*
Back in the day when I had one that ticked like that it was time to do some major repair. I notice all Hemi Rams just to see if they too tick, Guess what, not all of them do. So my thought is its not just a Hemi thing but a problem.
I have been told the 5.7 has a POS for a oil pump and is subject to failure. Is this true.
If the oil pump is not as good as the old ones back in the day were, are their any after market ones.
Low volume of oil would cause wear and possibly low lifter pressure then wearing the push rods down. You think ?
techhelp2
13 Jun 2010, 18:49
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - HYDRAULIC TAPPETS
Before disassembling any part of the engine to correct tappet noise, check the oil pressure. If vehicle has no oil pressure gauge, install a reliable gauge at the pressure sending-unit. The pressure should be between 207 - 552 kPa (30 - 70 psi) at 3,000 RPM.

Check the oil level after the engine reaches normal operating temperature. Allow 5 minutes to stabilize oil level, check dipstick. The oil level in the pan should never be above the FULL mark or below the ADD OIL mark on dipstick. Either of these two conditions could be responsible for noisy tappets.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - HYDRAULIC TAPPETS
Before disassembling any part of the engine to correct tappet noise, check the oil pressure. If vehicle has no oil pressure gauge, install a reliable gauge at the pressure sending-unit. The pressure should be between 207 - 552 kPa (30 - 70 psi) at 3,000 RPM.

Check the oil level after the engine reaches normal operating temperature. Allow 5 minutes to stabilize oil level, check dipstick. The oil level in the pan should never be above the FULL mark or below the ADD OIL mark on dipstick. Either of these two conditions could be responsible for noisy tappets.

Yes, the Hemi makes ALOT of valvetrain noise. Some are quieter than others, but all make some noise. If you looked at the design of the block and saw how high up in the casting the cam is located, you would understand why. The lifters insert almost horizontally into the block, the push rods are working at probably a 75 degree angle. Also, the aggressive roller cam with the steep ramps on the lobes make the valves slam shut quickly. Its set up so that DCX could make those heads flow. They basically designed the ports, then did the valvetrain AROUND them.

There was reference to a 5.7 truck in the shop with a loud tapping that would come and go after a long ride. The dealer replaced the lifters and it cured it. Keep in mind you have to pull the heads off to replace the lifters, so don't go running to your dealer wanting new lifters. It's a lot of work, not to mention chancing someone tearing apart your engine.
joe
18 Sep 2010, 15:47
i have a 08 dodge ram 1500 my truck idles at 500 rpms it never did that before i only have 19000 miles on my ram i brought it to the dealer and they said it was normal it only idles that low when the truck is warm up when I give a little gas while hold the brake pedal it sits between 500 and 600 rpms
then after i drive to and come to a stop it will drop to 500 rpms I have a cold air intake. Can that cause it? I would like some feedback. Thanks.
Admin
19 Sep 2010, 09:10
Idle speed is controlled by the powertrain control module. So it's not adjustable.

As far as a cold air intake box causing a lower than normal, or rough idle; anything is possible. It may be causing turbulence which is having a negative affect at the air flow sensor.

Did the idle come down immediately after installing the intake set up?

I would first inspect carefully for any leaks at the duct work or air cleaner box. If all looks good, re-install the factory intake assembly. If the brings the idle speed back to where it was originally, that's the problem.
LB
19 Sep 2010, 10:42
I found this information on Dodge Forum z.com. It states that this might be the cause of the ticking noise when the engine is cold. Here it is. Good Luck, Hope this helps and is accurate information.

SUBJECT: RAPID RESPONSE TRANSMITTAL / SERVICE ACTION #10-009

Engine Ticking Sound In Cold Temperatures

INVOLVED VEHICLES:
2009 (DC) Ram Truck (3500 Chassis Cab) (Includes International Markets)

2009 (DH) Ram Truck (1500/2500 Pick Up) (Includes International Markets)
2009 (DS) Ram Truck (1500) (Includes International Markets)
2009 (DX) Ram Truck (Mexico) (Includes International Markets)

NOTE: This Service Action affects both sold and unsold vehicles.

DISCUSSION:
A number of models built before August 14, 2009 (MDH 0814XX) equipped with a 5.7L
engine (Sales code EZC or EZD or EZH) may have been built with an engine that may
emit a ticking sound heard at start-up in cold ambient temperatures. This sound could
be less noticeable as the engine warms to normal operating temperature. This condition may be caused by broken or loose manifold bolts for cylinders # 7 and # 8.
Dealers are required to replace both sets of exhaust manifold bolts for cylinders # 7 and # 8 with new stainless steel higher strength bolts.
W L
20 Sep 2010, 05:00
The dealership has not repaired this issue yet. They told me to get a second opinion at another dealership and they would pay for it. I got they same response from two others. I do use synthetic oil (Castrol Syntec) I've tried the recommended 5w-20 and also 5w-30 with no change in the noise. I did find out that the tick is possibly coming the valve guides. I was told by another mechanic that the valve guide clearance was too big and that replacing the heads was the fix. He said "he has an 2006 and when he changed heads the tick went away and after 28k miles still no tick". Getting Dodge to admit this will not ever happen because there are so many 5.7 Hemis that the cost would be ridiculous. That is all I know at this time. Stay tuned for more.
Randall
24 Sep 2010, 15:57
I also have a 05 ram hemi. The ticking is getting on my last nerve. People that don't know about this so called dodge thing say " whats wrong with your truck ". I know back in the day when your engine made a ticking sound, that their was something wrong with lifters , valves , oil pressure , or neglect. It makes you want to hide when your at a place that other people see you and hear that ticking. Wish someone could find a fix for this and i would do it in a heart beat .
Dennis Grooms
13 Nov 2010, 17:21
I guess my situation is going to be the worst case scenario. I have an 04 Dodge Ram quad cab with the 5.7 Hemi. I have been experiencing the ticking noise since I bought my truck 2 years ago. I switched to premium gas and synthetic (Mobile 1) oil. The ticking went away and has only been heard when I occasionally buy regular gas. I haven't had any other problems in the time I've owned my Ram until two days ago. My engine seized up and I'm now looking at $4000 replacement cost. I spoke with a very knowledgeable mechanic and he said the 5.7 Hemi's oil passage ways are too small and the engine starves for oil. I am looking at a nation wide retailer of reman engines and I'm going to ask them about this issue before replacement. Any donations would be greatly appreciated!
Admin
14 Nov 2010, 09:10
Hey Dennis:

As far as we know the inherent "Hemi Tick" as described above is pretty much harmless.

Your V8 seize-up must have more to the story.
Dalton
14 Dec 2010, 21:39
I have an 03 ram Hemi. It has a loud tick from under the truck. Can't hear it from under the hood, but crawl under the truck and you might think it will send a rod into your face. It sounds like from the oil pan or oddly enough from the bell housing. Hard to tell with the Flowmasters, which sounds awesome by the way and drowns a lot of it out from above the truck, get a lot of compliments especially from other Hemi owners. Going to do a compression test to ease my mind soon or make it worse. Seems to run pretty good for 11800 miles but I find myself wandering under the truck more often to see if I thought it has gotten louder. Also it has inconsistent idle from 500 to 700 but never any codes pop up. Once warmed it will drop to 550 to 500 and occasionally stutter like it may die but never does. I don't know, change the oil, smoke a ford, and run her till she breaks I guess.
Admin
15 Dec 2010, 13:52
The Hemi tick is usual most pronounced out the side of the engine. You hear it loudest from the fender well.

A compression test won't typically diagnose an engine knock. However, a cylinder balance test (stopping spark or injector pulse at each cylinder one-at-a-time) is a good method in narrowing down a piston or rod knock to the problem cylinder. You should hear the sound change when you eliminate combustion at the bad cylinder.

Of course, your best bet is having a qualified technician take a listen before attempting any repairs.
Mike
18 Jan 2011, 22:41
I've owned my 05 Ram 5.7 Hemi for almost 2 years now, in the past I've noticed quiet tapping, but never bugged me too much, just kept an eye on the oil level and pressure and occasionally add a little sea foam into the crank case, thinking it was just the normal sound for the new gen. Hemis. Tonight, i took in for a quick run to town and back about 15 mile round trip and when i got home i noticed the ticking was extremely loud standing right beside the driver side mirror, but about half as loud under the hood. Oil level and pressure is fine.
I'm thinking that it's probably just because it's -38 degrees out side, and everybody knows that the cold likes to mess with shit.
Anybody else have any ideas about whats going on?
Admin
20 Jan 2011, 06:16
See above. Lifter noise loudest to the side. But also check for exhaust manifold leak.
Kevin
09 Feb 2011, 15:37
I have a 2004 Dodge Durango with the 5.7L Hemi. I started having the ticking about 3 months ago and its just keeps getting louder. Its loud enough now that its definitely not normal. It still runs fine at low RPM. Ive been told that the heads need to be removed to replace the lifters, which would run $1,000-1,200. Also that the piston may be scored from misfiring, which they say would be $4000 to replace or rebuild the motor now.
Admin
17 Feb 2011, 18:25
Hey Kevin,

Sounds like much more than the characteristic "Hemi tick". Do yourself a favor and have the engine checked out at a Dodge-dealer. Might cost you $100-$200, but worth the expense because you'll be sure of what you're getting into.
ANGEL
19 Feb 2011, 08:44
I HAVE THE HEMI TICK, ANYBODY ELSE HAVE ANY IDEAS ABOUT WHATS GOING ON
Jack
12 Mar 2011, 07:18
I had a 5.7 dodge charger that had a ticking and it was the pcv valve that rattled nothing was wrong it just made a ticking sound, I hate that sound so I bought a new one and it went away.
joshua
03 May 2011, 15:02
I have the same problem I have a 2003 1500 dodge ram 5.7 Hemi. I just had the lifters replaced under warranty from the dealer I bought it from. No luck on getting the noise fixed. Good thing the dealer didn't want to push any of the bill onto me (even though it's supposed to be 50/50 on parts and labor on my warranty). This cost them well over 1k.
I do not recommend doing this because no result was achieved.
David
11 May 2011, 21:17
I have a 2003 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi and guess what? Mine ticks too!! I have about 160000 miles on this truck and it's always ticked from day 1. It's just an inherent sound that this engine configuration has. No big deal, enjoy the horsepower!!
Bill
16 Jun 2011, 20:55
Try the 6.1 L Hemi pushrods in place of the stock 5.7 L push rods. They can be replaced by removing the valve covers and you do not have to remove the heads. I have heard through the grape vine that the 6.1 L pushrods are a hair longer and make the tick go away. I have no proof but lets just say I have some very reliable sources. I have an 03 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi with the tick. It sounds like a diesel at idle with good oil pressure as well. I would be interested to hear if anyone has success with the 6.1 L pushrods. Good luck.
Daniel
24 Jun 2011, 08:27
It's the engine Design it's going to do that no matter what. Mine does it, my buddies does it, and my uncles does it. Even my friends Toyota tundra does it. It's just how it operates. Lol I don't see why it annoys anyone. Try to look at it this way it's not a diesel, but it's a sign of power.
Wayne
13 Jul 2011, 17:17
2004 Ram with the tick. It didn't have the tick until some low life stole it drove the wheels off it did $7000.00 worth of damage to the body. My HEMI doesn't only tick but now consuming oil as well. No smoke from exhaust though the oil just seems to vanish.
Admin
13 Jul 2011, 19:52
The beating may have simply introduced the characteristic tick, or it good be more serious.

Top off the oil and monitor the oil consumption -- that should give you a good idea on cylinder wall damage.
jeff w
29 Jul 2011, 19:42
put 1/2 a quart extra i it when changing the oil and it stopped
Admin
31 Jul 2011, 11:53
I guess you mean the ticking noise stopped?

That doesn't really make sense. Typically being a 1/2 quart low on oil does not cause a problem (still in the safe range). But if you overfilled the engine by a 1/2 quart, that can cause oil aeration -- not good.
larry t
08 Aug 2011, 13:48
I have a 03 ram with a 5.7,I had the tick from day 1 and no biggie. But as of late i have had some really loud lifter clacking at start up. I have only 64k on the motor and have ran Valvoline full synthetic 5-30 since new. Will going to a heavier weight get rid of this problem? Also I'm in South Wisconsin so the cold will be here soon and will that affect a heavy oil?
Admin
08 Aug 2011, 19:24
Typically, changing oil viscosity doesn't fix anything. Stick with the manufacturer recommended grade, and have the noise checked out at a Dodge service department. It may very well be a bad lifter.
Josel Villanueva
19 Sep 2011, 21:48
I have a 2004 dodge durango 5.7 Hemi with 116,000 miles on it. I rarely drive it, the other day i started it up and it had a really loud tapping noise and it would increase when ever i stepped on the throttle.oil was good all fluids were checked and all was good.I was told by a mechanic that it was a sticky lifter and to rid of this problem i would need to put some marvel mystery oil into it and drive it around.so i did for about 30 minutes and i still have that noise.CAN ANYONE HELP?
Admin
21 Sep 2011, 21:30
Bring it to a technician other than the one who suggested marvel mystery oil -- preferably Dodge service.

It may be a collapsed lifter, but get a professional diagnosis before assuming anything.
minh
04 Nov 2011, 23:46
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 crew-cab with the 5.7L Hemi, 147k miles. I bought it two weeks ago and my Hemi has the tap/tick sound too. When I first start the truck in the morning, the tap/tick is not noticeable but as it warms up, it starts the tap/tick sound. The noise is coming from the areas of the exhaust manifold on both sides, near where the valves are located. Like one of the guy stated earlier, it sounds like a diesel engine. I heard about the loosen #7 and #8 manifold bolts on the 2009 model (see previous comment above), so figure I would try it on my 2003. I replaced both exhaust manifold gaskets, heat shields, and all new bolts. I also did a tune up which included oil change, new air filter, automatic transmission drain/refill w/new filter, cleaned PCV valve, and new OEM spark plugs (all 16 of them). This proved to be unsuccessfull and the tap/tick continues. Hope someone will figure it out soon.

BTW, if your engine idles inconsistently/rough, check your PCV valve. It's located just right of the throttle body and it's a twist-off type. If it's clogged or dirty, try cleaning it and see if that'll remedy your rough idling. A new PCV valve is @ $30-$45.
ervin
05 Nov 2011, 22:44
Well im glad im not imaging things. I just bought 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I notice a ticking noise. But I don't hear it with the hood open I only hear from the back side lower side of the engine. When im standing by the drivers side door. I was wondering if I was going to have the motor over hauled. The oil pressure is always good. I changed the oil and put in some Lucus. I was wondering about slick 50 or this purple stuff. It makes me nervous hearing the noise
Admin
07 Nov 2011, 16:46
If you're nervous bring it to a Dodge service department to confirm it is the characteristic "Hemi Tick".

Once confirmed, I wouldn't worry about it. You can try different motor oils, but it probably won't make a difference.
DEON SMOOT
05 Dec 2011, 19:45
I went to walmart and got an oil change in my 05 hemi. they put the 10/40 in my truck. which is the wrong oil and they didnt put enuff in it as well. took it back when i noticed the ticking'''' which was a few hours later. they drained the oil and added lucas which was another major problem now i need lifters. SO TO ALL HEMI OWNERS MAKE SURE U USE PROPER OIL AND NO ADDITIVES AND STAY AWAY FROM WALMART SERVICE CENTER.
Jim
19 Jan 2012, 00:06
ticking is due to oil filter not having a check valve in it maybe the oil change place you used added a cheap filter get a K&N at a auto parts store the ticking will quit it allows oil to stay in the engine and not all drain back into pan. Mine has not made the noise since. Dodge dealer Lake Havasu City Arizona told me of the Problem
Jeff
09 Feb 2012, 16:30
Have 06 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. Have had slight tick almost since day 1 when bought New. Lifter tap got louder in last month after I ran truck and re-started after short shut down time. Took it to Dodge dealer and diagnosed with collapsed lifters. $1200 to $1500 repair cost, good thing for 100,000 thousand mile Power Train warranty, 94,600 miles.
Dido
21 Feb 2012, 19:24
I have a '07 ram 1500 5.7L with 55,000km. Bought it one year ago with 42,000km. In December I noticed a ticking sound on the driver side of the engine, along with a "missing" sound coming from the exhaust. I've changed oil & filter as per factory specs, 5W-20 within 5,000km or 3 months. The sound is more prominent when the hood is up, and seems to be coming near the rear of the engine, driver side. Being old school, it seems to be a valve problem. Could you please help me out.
Admin
27 Feb 2012, 11:05
Can't hear the noise over the web, and an engine misfire will typically set a diagnostic trouble code and turn on the check engine light.

Your best bet is getting it to a Dodge service department and have a tech determine if it is the normal "Hemi tick", or a mechanical failure which requires further diagnosis.
lotsofspareparts
29 Feb 2012, 19:26
I too am experiencing the ticking sound with my 05 Ram Hemi. It is actually at the dealership right now being diagnosed. Took it in last week, told them I had a ticking sound coming from the drivers rear of the engine in the head area, they replaced the exhaust manifold gasket on the PASSENGERS SIDE. Took it back today because it is still ticking, only on the drivers side, and only from the rear of the motor. I checked it out with my stethoscope and it is definately a mettalic tapping/ticking. Got a call from the service manager saying he had all of his mechanics listen to it, and they thought it was belt noise. I asked what it sounded like when they pulled the belt to verify, they didn't. Have not heard back from him yet and that was over an hour ago....... I am willing to bet it was not the belt. Thank god for my aftermarket Warranty that covers all of the internal lubricated parts in the engine. No one has even mentioned that it was a typical Hemi tick so we will wait and see.
adam
15 Apr 2012, 17:15
I bought an 03 ram 1500 and as most other people who have the same i figured out that the rear ends suck and i guess the chrysler corp is not doing anything about it i would like to know if there is an aftermarket replacement to correct this because ive read several reviews about people replacing it with the same factory rear end and having the same thing happen
Chris
19 May 2012, 17:26
I have a 2006 6.1 Hemi Charger with only 39000 miles. Suddenly, after accelerating down the freeway and pulling up at where I was heading I heard a tapping sound from the right rear top of the engine. The Dodge dealer that I happen to be going to thought it was the lifters - I think one lifter. However, when the car is not run for a day and started up, the noise disappears for a while till I accelerate again. Could this be a lifter? Could it be because the engine got starved of oil that time and one lifter has not enough clearance with the camshaft? Could thicker oil help?
Admin
21 May 2012, 11:46
If it's a single loud "click" you're hearing it may very well be a collapsed tappet (lifter). While the engine is hot and making the noise a technician should remove the valve cover(s). At that point he can narrow down which valve the noise is coming from by listening and feeling for vibration at the valve. They can also eliminate other causes of the noise such as a worn valve guide, broken valve spring, etc.

These are hydraulic (self adjusting) lifters. The internal plunger can leak or get stuck causing excessive valve clearance, and the noise.

Clicking heard from all or several lifters can be caused by incorrect oil level, or low oil pressure.

And remember, a certain amount of "light" ticking is considered normal.
Chris
21 May 2012, 12:11
Could it be that the tappet has collapsed due to the car being not run for a time? The day after this drive to Dodge I started it up and idling the sound went away. However, after using some throttle it started again down the freeway. Would this still correlate to a collapsed tappet that needs to be changed - or could a long drive "unstick" it? That drive to the Dodge was the first time the car had been run on the freeway for about 8 months. Oil was changed before being run, 5w-40. Thanks for further comments.
Admin
21 May 2012, 12:55
A good lifter, even if it bled down after sitting a long period of time, would have pumped right back up with oil pressure.

The fact it was quiet, but the noise came back, does not seem like a good sign.

But stranger things have happened. Go ahead and put a few more miles on. If it's still there, bring it in to Dodge.
Chris
21 May 2012, 13:07
I hope a few miles will help.

Could you tell me how many hours a job like this would take? Would they only replace the collapsed one, the whole side, or everything on both sides, and does it involve taking off the top block? I guess you need special tools also. Thanks.
Admin
21 May 2012, 14:58
It's a pretty big job. The cylinder head must be removed. It's up to the tech doing the work how many are replaced.

They may want to replace all on the side with the bad one while the head is off. It wouldn't make sense to remove the other head if there was no noise from that side.

The job pays 5.5 hours according to ALLDATA.
keith
31 May 2012, 17:52
i know why it ticks its cuz of the valve guides the bolts are backing out put lock tight on the bolts and retight them
Paul Dominick
09 Aug 2012, 09:01
I have a 2005 Jeep with the 5.7L Hemi that ran great although it had the tick. I changed oil reguarly with Mobile 1. It had 114,000miles on it and yesterday it sudenly dropped a valve ,destroying the no 7 cyl. and piston. Now I am looking at a replacement engine.
Admin
12 Aug 2012, 15:55
Sorry to hear that. Junk yard engine and a for sale sign might be a thought -- unless you're planning on keeping it around for a while.
Chris
12 Aug 2012, 16:21
Re Previous comments had by myself above: I had replaced the top 4 right side (when facing the engine) lifters. The problem has gone away and 6.1 engine is running great.

Here is a link of the sound the engine made before fixing for those interested in accessing there own lifter issues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LZcSQzpQxg.

Admin
19 Aug 2012, 12:22
Cool Tube!

Left and right, on any car or engine, is determined sitting in the driver's seat.

So you replaced lifters on the left bank of the engine.
Kimberly
12 Sep 2012, 05:38
I have a 05 Dodge Hemi 1500 quad cab 5.7 liter V8 engine. I'm not to sure if this is the begining of this ticking problem that you all speak of. I am not to engine or vehicle savy. But i have a 'grinding' right below my driver side floor board. I feel the grinding most there. I hear it but it isn't to loud. The grinding mainly happens inbetween 25-35 mph. Otherwise the grinding ceases. So if anyone knows anything of what im talking about please help.
Chris
12 Sep 2012, 06:14
Hi,
I'm no expert either, but it sounds more like a wheel bearing,or similar part in that area. Ticking sounds are not grinding sounds. A garage needs to take a look.
Jaime
17 Sep 2012, 09:47
i have a 2005 Dodge ram 1500 with a hemo and there is an exhaust leak coming from the second spark plug. Seems to be coming from the vlave cover. Any suggestions?
Admin
15 Oct 2012, 10:18
Sounds like you're hearing the actual combustion blowing by the sparkplug.

The plug may just be loose, and/or the threads damaged.

Remove and inspect.
Josh
19 Oct 2012, 13:54
i just picked up a 2004 ram 1500 gtx, first few days no tick and now it has it, dealer replaced manifolds under warrenty and the tick is gone but only when idleing, still has a tick when im on highway about 1500 rpms and u just step on the gas a little bit and u can hear the tick, clear enough to know its on the right side of my engine, dealer is trying to say that its just my k&n intake makeing the noice, any suggestions?
Josh
19 Oct 2012, 13:56
also the truck only has 23k miles on it
Matt
22 Oct 2012, 17:40
OK, it seems as though some people in here are on different pages. My 07 jeep commander hemi sounds like a damn yard sprinkler! 60k miles, proper dealer maint., cleaned egr, replaced cam sensor, checked all other sensors. This is not a normal sound. dealer says thats the sound of an engine running... have heard other hemi jeeps that do not make the sound. Now my truck dies aproaching, sitting at, and leaving stop lights. I have not had the time to investigate further but i am thinking it is either an exhaust leak or a faulty catalytic. No engine codes what so ever. I am so angry at my truck right now. Anyone else with the EXTRA loud tick/whisping noise having the problem with stalling?
Matt
22 Oct 2012, 17:45
also replaced spark plugs with oem, cleaned throttle body, checked all wiring connections, etc...
Admin
12 Nov 2012, 19:10
Josh,

Your typically not going to get a "tick" from an aftermarket intake -- more of a moan.

There may still be a small exhaust leak. Often times you won't hear it at idle, but it will get louder while accelerating.
Admin
12 Nov 2012, 19:15
Matt,

Give the service department another shot at it. There may or may not be a link to the noise and the stall, but just because the check engine light is off, there's still lots of data received by the scan tool to help diagnose performance issues.
ethan
17 Jan 2013, 19:36
I have a 05 dodge ram 1500 hemi. Mine never ticked or knocked til my engine quit around 60000 miles. They said it was something to do with the rods. About 10000 miles later when it became winter, on cold starts it had a very loud tick/squeal. So the dealership replaced that engine also. It was fine for a couple weeks but then started knocking. It mainly knocked when engine was warmed up and idling. So I brought it back in and they said something was wrong with the bearings. So they replaced that engine also at 108000 miles. It was fine til about two days after and the same knock came back. I currently have 114000 miles. I've talked to Chrysler corporate and filed a complaint and they said its normal. I know its not. Any suggestions on what to do?
Admin
27 Jan 2013, 12:14
Sure it's the same noise? Doesn't make sense they replaced the engine for that same noise and now say it's normal.

I'd suggest bringing it to another Chrysler service department (without telling them the story) and getting a second opinion.
Ethan
27 Jan 2013, 16:36
Yes its the exact same noise and the service manager agreed it was. He said something about a bad batch of bearings. I'll have to bring to another dealership. Running out of options on things to do. I contacted Chrysler about the issue and they also said its normal. I know its not.
Brian
11 Apr 2013, 17:38
I owen a 05 dodge ram 1500 5.7. bought it from a local dealer.71,000 miles. and yes i have them hemi knock. took back to dealer. they had to replace a broken exhaust maifold bolt. cost me ove 300.00. and guess what. that wasnt the problem. the truck is at the dealership again as we speak. ill keep you informed of what the fndings are.
Admin
14 Apr 2013, 12:29
Great! Let us know what they come up with.

A loose spark plug can cause a "tick" type noise very similar to an exhaust leak.
ken
08 May 2013, 09:46
Ticks are not normal. If your hemi has them take it to a dealer ASAP. I just bought a 13 hemi charger rt and it has them so I called the dealer and they're aware of the problem and talked about ordering parts already. I work for chrysler and I can say that other employees are not happy that the hemi motor is made in Mexico. The UAW has tried to get the motor brought to the US for building but so far to no avail. Also, the horizontal positioning of the lifter causing a reflection/ magnification of the sound is a line of bs. Take it in for service ASAP and express your concern that the motor is made in Mexico. Good luck.
ken
10 May 2013, 00:20
Update: I took the 13 charger rt to the dealer for a listen and the mechanic said it needed a tear down of the top half (valvetrain). They scheduled me for this Monday and said it would take 4 to 5 days. They said they can't be sure what it is until they tear into it. I wish I would have bought the 200 s with the 3.6L. It makes 100 less hp but also weighs about a 1000 lbs less, which makes them an even race.
RL
14 May 2013, 09:49
I have noticed that it doesn't seem to tick as much when I use premium gas. Although it is still there, it appears less noticeable. Can it be a valve issue?
Admin
19 May 2013, 15:38
Octane will only effect an engine noise if the noise is a spark knock.
Chris Richards
20 May 2013, 02:22
Same ticking sound here 04 15000 Hemi. Mine is a broken exhaust manifold bolt. Got new gasket and bolts passenger side.
landon
24 May 2013, 00:22
I have the real hemi tick
My 2010 dodge charger has a tick and it trows a cylinder 5 misfire code so I pulled my valve cove off to see if my lifters were lighting and 5 wasn't
So I payed $900 for lifter and put them in still didn't light and my can isn't flat so I'm left with a clogged oil passage I will call a rebuilder tomorrow to see if maybe it could just be a oil pump.
Big Moe
25 Jun 2013, 21:10
I see that this an old thread But I`m going to reply anyway. I`ve got a 3500 dually with the 5.7 I bought it with 60k miles on it. I now have 130k miles on I. The only thing I`ve done to it is spark plugs and a battery. Oil changes every 5k miles using 10w30 synthetic. I have the ticking noise sometimes its louder than others. I also noticed an exhaust leak when its cold. I`m going to replace the exhaust gaskets and bolts. I am an ase master tech. been working on cars professionally since 1984. Been working on cars since I was 13, with my Dad. I will post the results when I am done if anyone is interested.
Admin
19 Jul 2013, 19:01
We're always interested. Thanks Big Moe!
John
23 Jul 2013, 11:51
I have a 05 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi with 5 miles on it when I bought it. So far I put 223,000 miles on it. I've had the same noise since 143,000 ago. Was told that if you are not losing power or using more gas then put up with the noise. It has only gotten louder over the years. Still love the truck and running strong.
Jay
01 Aug 2013, 19:42
My 2010 dos the same thing. Ticks in drive thru etc. pls help. People keep telling me I need spark plugs.
Admin
04 Sep 2013, 14:31
Take it to the dealership, and see if they think it's normal, or something that needs to be repaired. Sparkplugs won't fix a "tick".
ll Baak
15 Sep 2013, 23:04
Same problem..
Admin
19 Sep 2013, 13:05
Slight correction. A loose sparkplug can cause a ticking noise as the combustion blasts past the sparkplug threads. This will eventually burn up the ignition coil of the suspect cylinder.
Terry
21 Apr 2014, 22:40
I too had it on my 2009 Hemi Ram. There was a re-call on my third member,which was fixed at 50K miles and while there,they also did the exhaust manifold bolt re-call...since then,I havent heard the ticking. Kinda makes sense ,after all many small block chevies had a like problem and they were also fixed by exhaust manifold bolts. Many Hemi's run hard for 150,000 miles or more so dont sweat it folks. Still like to shock a few Bemmers and others with my 6,000lb truck and only 347 cube hemi !
george torres
25 May 2014, 17:10
anybody hear of a check valve in oil filter for dodge ram trucks
Gin
08 Jun 2014, 18:40
I have an 05 dodge ram 1500 with hemi , and I had a valve lifter ticking away . I bought the truck used . Well needless to say 2 years after taking it In numerous time requesting then to check it ! I started have issues ! It idles at 607 rpm , while driving anything below 60 km it would stall put . Oil pressure is good , transmission oil is good .

While I was idling at time hortons , the truck started to shake , and the sound of something let go . Then the ticking was gone . I wasn't far from home , while driving it , I can hear the piston hitting the valve ! I brought it in to an engine rebuild and they told me it was a rod barring that was gone and that nothing was wrong with my valve lifter ! Yet again they didn't open my engine up to see they just listened to it !

I m wondering what ur opinion is ? Cause like hell am I dropping 7000 for an engine and 3000 for them to put it in when I could do the same job for free .
Melanie
30 Jun 2014, 20:01
I have a 2006 Durango and experience the same lifter tic. It began after 100,000 miles and warranty expired so I never took it in to dealer. It does use a little oil but it now has almost 180,000 miles and still running strong. I bought it brand new.
Techhelp2
13 Jul 2014, 09:29
RE:George Torres

25 May 2014, 17:10

Hi George, Can't say much for after market filters about check valves but stick with original OEM Mopar filters they are made for the engine and give the protection for the engine Mopar wants.
Techhelp2
13 Jul 2014, 09:37
RE:Gin

08 Jun 2014, 18:40

Hi Gin, you need to take the truck to someone else more reliable. Finding the dead cylinder and then taking the valve cover off would be a good start. It could be a broken valve spring, rocker arm broken and or bent push rod. A good physical inspection is need before determining weather you need a rebuild or not.
Techhelp2
13 Jul 2014, 09:45
RE:Melanie

30 Jun 2014, 20:01

Hi Melanie, The tick is a long time problem and many fixes have been done with little success. If you have 180,000 on the engine and it is still running strong then have a good qualified mechanic inspect the engine tick for precautions. It could be just a broken exhaust bolt or exhaust gasket. Let the mechanic determine that before any expensive repairs are done. If you can live with the tick and you have no performance issues then that is the least aggravating way to go.
Derick
20 Sep 2014, 22:42
I have 2003 Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi Magnum. I bought less than 2 weeks ago. I have absolutely no mechanical experience to speak of. The ticking was present when i test drove the vehicle. The mechanic at the dealership (not a dodge dealer) said it was an exhaust leak. I took his word for it. The ticking is on the right side of the engine. When i start the truck it is very loud at idle, but after the truck warms up the ticking seems to get significantly quieter (while idle), but does not go away completely. Also, The tick can always be heard when accelerating. The harder i press the gas, the faster the tick. Does this sound like a typical exhaust leak or might there be something else going on? Also, I am getting a squeaking/squealing noise for a couple seconds when i start the truck. I'm assuming that's a belt issue, but like i said, i have no mechanical experience. Thanks.
Derick
20 Sep 2014, 23:09
I should mention the truck has 157,000 miles and runs just fine. I haven't noticed any loss in power and it does not idle rough or have any other issues that I am aware of. Just the annoying ticking noise and squeaking at start up.
Techhelp2
15 Oct 2014, 20:20
RE: Derick, The exhaust leak can be checked with a stethoscope, it can help locate the leak if there is one. The 5.7 has had ticking issues related to lifters and possible weak valve springs. Many have complained but there is no solution from the dealer. The ticking usually will not harm anything and with 157,000 miles on it and it runs fine it might help to live with it. The repair usually is temporary and expensive. The dealership has yet to come up with a solution. The squeak is most likely the belt and should be checked out. The belt could be worn or the tensioner weak or just need to be adjusted if applicable to your truck.
brett
31 Oct 2014, 23:51
Same here 2004 ram 5.7 hemi tick, 160,000 miles.just found manifold bolt on the ground, from passenger side manifold.
dodge should fix this, it's the same story over and over
brett
01 Nov 2014, 00:17
I would like to add, it's a 2500 4x4 and I drive ever day on a rough dirt road, can I wait a week before replacement of manifold bolts? Or should they be done asap

*Name:
*Email:
Notify me about new comments on this page
Hide my email
Subscribe to our weekly automotive newsletter
*Comment:

*Type characters in box below (click image to refresh)
CODE

Popular Links
Q&A by Make and Model
Q&A by Repair Category
Live Chat with a Pro!
Submit Questions
Find TSBs and Recalls
How Hybrids Work
Local Gas Price Map
Resources
ALLDATA diy Information
Warranty Direct
Parts Warehouse
New Car Price Quotes
ASE Certified Master Technician

Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Dodge » Ram » 2005 - 5.7-liter Hemi Ticking Noise (Lifters)
Save or Share Automotive Information
Custom Search