Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Chevrolet » Silverado » 1998 - A/C not Cold, Compressor Engages

ALLDATAdiy - Beyond The Printed Manuall. Diagnose, Repair, and Research all within the same source!
ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

1998 Chevrolet Silverado:
A/C not Cold, Compressor Engages

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I recently had a chance to look at a problem with the air conditioning in my '98 Silverado. I parked it for the winter and everything was fine when I parked it. I took it out for the first time this summer and the A/C did not blow cold air.

The compressor will engage but only for about 3 seconds at a time. It makes a slight rattling sound, but nothing too major. Air is not cold at all, just the same as having the vent on. I was thinking it may just need to be charged, but I don't know enough about the A/C system to go off my own judgment. Also, from my understanding the compressor should not engage at all if there is no refrigerant.

Answer:

Sounds like a very common A/C situation. There's a small leak of refrigerant (R-134a) in the system, and you lost most of the charge over the winter months. If the system was completely empty (no pressure at all) the A/C compressor would not engage to prevent damage to the system. However, there's often enough pressure left in the system to engage the compressor for short periods of time, while not enough to cool the air.

You can go to the auto parts store and get a few cans of R-134a refrigerant and an inexpensive injection hose/gauge assembly (often comes as a kit). Then, following the instructions, add enough refrigerant to raise system pressure to the proper level. The only problem with this method is that you still have a leak, and eventually you'll be back where you started.

The other choice is to bring it to a technician with an A/C charging station. They can partially charge the system, locate the leak with a leak detector or system dye test, recover the refrigerant (federal law prohibits releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere), repair the leak and charge the system with the correct amount of refrigerant and refrigerant oil. One method is cheap, and the other a permanent fix. It's your call.

www.realworldautomotive.com
or
Browse by:  
E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information

Need Help?

Get FREE Answers from our Technicians at the Chevrolet Silverado Forum.

Comments:

No comments yet

*Name:
*Email:
Notify me about new comments on this page
Hide my email
Subscribe to our weekly automotive newsletter
*Comment:

*Type characters in box below (click image to refresh)
CODE

Popular Links
Q&A by Make and Model
Q&A by Repair Category
Live Chat with a Pro!
Submit Questions
Find TSBs and Recalls
How Hybrids Work
Local Gas Price Map
Resources
ALLDATA diy Information
Warranty Direct
Parts Warehouse
New Car Price Quotes
ASE Certified Master Technician

Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Chevrolet » Silverado » 1998 - A/C not Cold, Compressor Engages
Save or Share Automotive Information
Custom Search