Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Chevrolet » Blazer » 1998 - Reduce Body Roll, Stabilizer Bar

ALLDATAdiy - Beyond The Printed Manuall. Diagnose, Repair, and Research all within the same source!
ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

1998 Chevrolet Blazer:
Reduce Body Roll, Stabilizer Bar

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I recently noticed your magazine and was glad to see that someone had finally come out with a magazine for people who enjoy trucks and SUV's, but aren't hardcore off-road nuts. I recently purchased a two-door 1998 Chevy Blazer and was wondering if there is any way to reduce the amount of body roll that occurs when turning a corner. Are there any drawbacks to the fix (if there is one)?

Answer:

Handling is not a strong point in this particular mid-size SUV.

There are methods of improving handling characteristics and reducing body roll. A vehicle's ride and handling quality is a group effort via the fine tuning of tires, shocks, springs and stabilizer bar(s). The part that is a fairly simple and inexpensive adjustment, and has a major effect on body roll, is the stabilizer bar, also known as a sway-bar or anti-sway-bar. It links one side of the suspension to the other side while pivoting at the frame, and may be used as a part of both front and rear suspensions.

The drawback to the stiffening of a suspension to aid in handling is a reduction of the smooth ride you've grown accustomed to. It's a give and take situation, and would have the opposite effect on handling if you were trying to improve ride quality.

I suggest giving Addco Industries a call at 1-800-621-8916. They are a leading producer which specializes in the manufacturing of upgraded after-market sway-bars. The founder of Addco, Roland de Marcellus, has a book entitled "Handling! What it is and How to Get it". This should be helpful in determining the safest way to gain the handling stability you're looking for, without adding an unbearable ride to your SUV.

www.realworldautomotive.com
or
Browse by:  
E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information

Need Help?

Get FREE Answers from our Technicians at the Chevrolet Blazer Forum.

Comments:

No comments yet

*Name:
*Email:
Notify me about new comments on this page
Hide my email
Subscribe to our weekly automotive newsletter
*Comment:

*Type characters in box below (click image to refresh)
CODE

Popular Links
Q&A by Make and Model
Q&A by Repair Category
Live Chat with a Pro!
Submit Questions
Find TSBs and Recalls
How Hybrids Work
Local Gas Price Map
Resources
ALLDATA diy Information
Warranty Direct
Parts Warehouse
New Car Price Quotes
ASE Certified Master Technician

Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Chevrolet » Blazer » 1998 - Reduce Body Roll, Stabilizer Bar
Save or Share Automotive Information
Custom Search