Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Ford » F-Series » 1994 - Transmission Problem, Warranty Rebuilt

ALLDATAdiy - Beyond The Printed Manuall. Diagnose, Repair, and Research all within the same source!
ShopTalk - Automotive Questions and Answers

1994 Ford F-150:
Transmission Problem, Warranty Rebuilt

By
Alex Steele
Save or Share Information
Print Page
E-mail Page

as seen in Truck Trend

Question:

I have a 1994 F-150 Extended Cab with 4-wheel drive, a 5.0-liter SFI V8 engine and an automatic transmission.

I'm having a problem with the transmission. It was rebuilt under warranty about 16 months ago at a Ford dealership because of a shifting problem from 1st to 2nd gear. Now the same problem came back.

Have there been any common problems with this transmission, or were there any recalls for this problem?

Answer:

There aren't any recalls that apply to a '94 F-series transmission, but Technical Service Bulletins are another story. Typically recalls are only issued pertaining to emissions or safety related problems. Technical service bulletins (TSB) are published whenever a failure occurs enough times to warrant a better fix than what's published in the service manual. Very often the repairs involve modified parts which are more durable than the original factory stuff.

An automatic transmission is a complex device with a lot of parts. Therefore, there are usually quite a few service bulletins in that category. I did a service bulletin search on your truck with the Alldata information system, and like I said, there are quite a few in the transmission section. Your F-150 could be using one of two different transmissions: the E40D or the 4R70W (AODE-W) unit which are both four-speed automatics.

Ford TSB # 97-11-11 involves the 4R70W(AODE-W) transmission and pertains to a 1-2 shift problem due to premature wear on the accumulator seals. This wear is caused by an excessive piston side-load which scuffs the piston bore. The modification includes a stamped steel accumulator piston as a replacement to the cast aluminum factory part, along with an updated return spring. Your transmission may have been repaired without these modifications, which could cause a repeat failure in a short period of time.

This is one possible cause to the problem. The best way to go is with a factory rebuilt unit which has all the appropriate modifications completed before given the official stamp of approval. Explain your situation at the service department. They should help you out if it is indeed a repeat failure.

www.realworldautomotive.com
or
Browse by:  
E-mail Page
Print Page
Save or Share Information

Need Help?

Get FREE Answers from our Technicians at the Ford F-150 Forum.

Comments:

Larry H Williams
05 Apr 2012, 14:06
i have a 1994 f-150 4 wheel drive and 5.0 engine my transmissiuton went out it will not move forward in any gear but will go in reverse i have over 300,000miles.
Admin
08 Apr 2012, 14:05
Be sure the fluid is full, and inspect the cable to the manual valve.

Bring it to a tranny shop to confirm, but you're gonna need a transmission, or a new truck.
Katy Gerving
23 Jun 2014, 14:52
Looking to buy a 1994 F-150 XLT 4x4 but it has a bad tranny. Trying to figure out what kind it has in it. It's a 302 V8, 5.0 L
Admin
09 Jul 2014, 13:19
302 cubic inches and 5.0 liters are the same thing. The choices in '94 were 4.9-liter 6cyl, 5.0 or 351 V8.

*Name:
*Email:
Notify me about new comments on this page
Hide my email
Subscribe to our weekly automotive newsletter
*Comment:

*Type characters in box below (click image to refresh)
CODE

Popular Links
Q&A by Make and Model
Q&A by Repair Category
Live Chat with a Pro!
Submit Questions
Find TSBs and Recalls
How Hybrids Work
Local Gas Price Map
Resources
ALLDATA diy Information
Mitchell 1 eAutoRepair
Warranty Direct
Parts Warehouse
New Car Price Quotes
ASE Certified Master Technician

Home » ShopTalk » Manufacturer » Ford » F-Series » 1994 - Transmission Problem, Warranty Rebuilt
Save or Share Automotive Information
Custom Search